Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Slow Down, You Move Too Fast"

Simon and Garfunkel had it right with those lyrics in their song.

Why is it that we feel the need to move so fast?  I think, speaking only for myself, it is due to years of this learned behavior.  It began with my mother, who was a bit of a perfectionist.  Dust bunnies hopped away in terror.  Dishes didn't dare sit dirty in the sink for more than 10 minutes after a meal.  We washed clothes on Monday and ironed them on Tuesday, etc., etc., etc.  I remember watching my Dad mow the lawn at the farm, on nearly a dead run behind the lawn mower.

I understand the need to keep my living space free from dirt.  I mostly do that.  But I find myself rushing about to get things done.  I don't know why I do this when I now have all the time in the world to get things done.  The dust bunny police are not going to knock on my door.  I answer to nobody but myself.  So why, in the name of good common sense, should I rush about like a chicken with no head!  There is no good reason that I can think of.

We live in a fast-paced world.  It seems to me that so many people try to cram so many things into one 24-hour day.  I did the same when I was still in the work force.  I still have trouble slowing down, and if per chance I take a day and do nothing, I blog about it, because it is so unusual.  That's kind of sad.

I believe that the world would be a much better place if we had more rocking chairs on more front porches, and if we used them.  To sit.  And rock.  And cuddle with a kid.  And remember the good things.  And hum a long remembered song.  And sip a good cup of coffee or glass of homemade tangy lemonade.  And watch the world go by.  And take time out of busy lives to smell a few roses.  And enjoy a sunset.


I think my rocking chair is calling my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment