Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Ham and Beans

So yesterday morning my phone rings.  It is Youngest Son, wanting to know if I will be home a little later.  Seems he has this left-over ham bone.  He doesn't want to toss it, for he doesn't like waste.  He knows Mom will make good use of it.

The beans soaked overnight.  Tossed a handful of dehydrated carrots in with them along with a couple handfuls of dehydrated onion.  They are simmering, along with the ham bone, on the back burner.  Lots of meat left on that bone, so later I will remove the bone, leaving chunks of ham in with the beans.  And simmer some more.

I'm nearly out of bread, so after a while I will bake a couple of loaves and have some with my supper of ham and beans.  I'd say that is a pretty good way to start off the New Year.

6 comments:

  1. That sounds yummy. We attend a viewing this evening and funeral tomorrow. My friends dad died. Thanks for coming over and visitin my blog Vicki. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It smells yummy. I may not be able to wait until suppertime!
    Sorry about your friend's father. Death is never easy, but it seems like when it occurs this time of year, it is even more difficult to bear.
    I hope that this New Year brings all sorts of good things for you. I appreciate your visits to this silly little blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike. That's what I made.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess, that thought about great minds ran through my head when I saw your post! I couldn't wait - had a bowl for lunch.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made Venison and beef stew here today. Pretty good if I say so myself. Duane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Son, your venison/beef stew trumps my ham and beans! Sounds so good I may have to open a jar of venison and make some. With biscuits!

    ReplyDelete