Thursday, April 9, 2015

Rain and Refrigerators

Sometime during the night I heard the sound of raindrops bouncing off the ledge outside my windows.  We are in a mild drought area - nothing like the west and southwest, but the lack of snowfall and spring rains have contributed to the general dryness.  There is no significant wind or lightning - just a gentle, soaking rain and it is welcome.  Although it is still a chilly 38 degrees this morning, the warm sunshine is promised for the weekend and into next week.

Early yesterday afternoon my new stove and refrigerator were delivered.  I have to admire the cheerfulness of the two delivery guys, who, in spite of huffing appliances up and down the steep stairs to my apartment, were smiling and pleasant.  I remarked to one, a tall, muscular young black man, that I marveled at how he and his partner could spend their days carrying heavy refrigerators, especially on stairs like mine.  He laughed and replied that it was a job and he was glad to have it.  He said that many who don't have jobs wind up behind bars and he would much rather be working.  Besides, with all the lifting and carrying, he didn't have to go to the gym to get a work-out.

The new refrigerator is larger than the old one.  The guys took my apartment door off the hinges.  They removed the doors from the refrigerator.  They took a part that was protruding off the back.  And even with all of that, they only cleared the doorway by maybe a quarter of an inch.  But the old, troublesome appliances are gone and the pretty new ones are in place.  Landlord came by about suppertime and hooked up the gas to the new stove.  I think it is a good day to test the oven with a batch of homemade bread.

Son went to the store this morning and brought me back two packages of bacon ends and pieces, for a total of 6 lbs.  This afternoon I will chop the bacon into about half-inch pieces, lightly brown them and can them in half-pint jars.  The homemade bacon bits are so good on salads or in scrambled eggs or omelets.

So now I'd better get busy.  After weeks of relative inactivity, it really feels good to have stuff to do!

8 comments:

  1. Congrats - life sounds like it will be a lot easier for you now. Love to see a pic of the new appliances :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got the new appliances. I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dani...Yes, things are looking up! Son is a huge help to me and does a lot of the running around so I don't have to. Stove is already in use frying up the bacon bits to be canned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Gorges... It is so nice to have the new appliances that hopefully won't break down like the old ones did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since so much of a persons self esteem is invested in having work, it's not surprising that so many without it wind up getting into trouble. I think the government ought to do something like the CCC and put youth to work on the roads, God knows the roads are falling apart. I know, some people don't want to work and would rather have welfare, but I would be willing to bet that many more would take a job if they could get one that let them earn enough to survive.

    I'm glad your appliances got delivered and are all set up.It's such a pain to deal with that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harry...I think a program like the CCC would do wonders for those who want to work but are unable to find a job. My father went to work in a CCC camp during the Depression in the 30's. Many years later he still had pride in the job he and the others did, building a camping area and picnic grounds by one of the lakes near his home in northern MN.

    I know that if I don't have enough to do, I can get kind of crabby. I'm much happier if I'm busy. The young man who delivered the appliances seemed so grateful just to have a job, even if it was not an easy one. I have known people who would rather just sit around and collect whatever handouts they can, but it seems that by far they are much more unhappy than those who come home each night, tired from a job well done.

    I'm glad the appliances are all hooked up, too. The stove is getting a workout what with canning bacon and some baking. Nice to have an oven again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary...Life's pretty darned good, isn't it!!!

    ReplyDelete