Friday, March 18, 2016

For My Records

I use this blog to sort of keep track of what I can and dehydrate so I can go back and check if I need to.  Sometimes I get busy and forget to write the totals down, so this method works for me.

So far I have 14 more quarts of cranberry juice and 56 half pints of coleslaw canned and waiting to go on the shelves.  Usually I can the slaw in pint jars, but have found that sometimes part of a pint goes to waste.   Half pint sized jars contain just enough for one meal for one person.

I'm taking a bit of a breather today - just puttering about with this and that.  The changes in weather patterns, going from 65 degrees one day to 35 degrees today, tend to slow down arthritic joints.  So there will be some reading and quite possibly some napping in between the usual household chores today.  Then tomorrow there is hamburger to can and the next day - spiced apple slices.

But for right now, I believe I will get back to the mystery I'm reading.  I am nearly to the end where I find out who-done-it.  :)

4 comments:

  1. Gorges...And sometimes necessary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever read the Canadian author Louise Penny? I'm on her 3rd book and loving the series. Haven't guessed the outcome yet, my guide to a good mystery. If you look her up, you should read the books in order.
    Just back from my closest community garden where I weeded a bit, searched for asparagus (no luck) and planted some pea seeds. It's a little early as we still could get some frost. I'm ready for gardening, though, so thought I'd take a chance. Later today I am planting some asparagus crowns in 5-gallon buckets at my apartment.
    Cheers, SJ in Vancouver BC

    ReplyDelete
  3. SJ...No, I don't think I have ever read Louise Perry, but I will check it out. I love a mystery where you don't know the outcome until the last few pages.

    I would love to be digging in the dirt, but considering how it snowed here some last night, I don't think that will happen for a while - not even on my deck. Your mention of asparagus brought back a memory of when I was in my 20's. I lived in the middle of Minnesota which is farmland. There were meandering ditches dug to drain off the excess water from the fields and along the banks of some of those ditches grew asparagus. Every spring I would grab a couple of buckets and go pick as much as I could find. Some was canned and some was frozen. My kids were indignant because I made them help and none of them liked the stuff!

    ReplyDelete