Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Another Interesting Phone Call...

came here today.  This time it was someone with an accent I didn't recognize, but who assured me that he was, indeed, employed by Microsoft.  He was very concerned that there was something wrong with my computer.  Said it was sending out ERROR messages.  Told me we (he and I) needed to fix this right away before my computer was damaged beyond repair.   Said I needed to turn on my computer RIGHT NOW.

So using my very best sweet little old lady voice, all a-flutter and concerned, I  told him that my computer was brand new and that I wasn't really sure just how to work everything on it, but that I had been able to see a little bit of that Internet thing.  And I surely didn't want my new computer ruined (small sob).  He allowed as to how he would be pleased to walk me through the process to make everything alright.

So as I pretended to be on my computer and pretended to follow his instructions to the letter, we went through a series of steps.  At one point he asked me to read back what was on the screen, but I told him he would have to read it to me because I had set my bifocals down but couldn't remember just where, so he did.

Eventually we got to the point where I was instructed to download an exe file.  He kindly told me how to do this.  Then he told me to type in my password and my credit card number.  I said I was confused, but I could give him that information over the phone.  He happily agreed.  Here are the words I gave him:

police - fraud - scam - don't mess with little old ladies

At which point he abruptly disconnected.  I don't know why.  :)

18 comments:

  1. I'm laughing out loud, right now. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rev. Paul...Once in a while an opportunity presents itself, and it is just too good to let pass. I figure the fifteen minutes or so he wasted with me was fifteen minutes he wasn't scamming someone who didn't know better. And it was fun. (insert big grin)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorges...So I have been told. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I've had those calls too! I asked him if he was part of that scam that was being talked about all over the internet. He hung up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chickenmom...It's fun when you can get the scammer to hang up on you, isn't it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made my day - I,too, am laughing out loud.
    Way to go.
    SJ in Vancouver BC

    ReplyDelete
  7. SJ...I usually don't mess with regular telemarketers because I know they are just trying to earn a living. But scammers are fair game and if I can put one over on them, it makes my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Fiona...My pleasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had exactly that same scam tried on me, by some guy with an "Indian" voice who said his name was "Michael" and he worked for microsoft. I used a more direct approach and while he probably didn't understand everything I said (they don't teach that vocabulary in English class) he got my drift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Harry...This is the third or fourth call like this I have received. Other times I have gone the "You are a bloody idiot if you think I am falling for your scam" route, interspersed with my opinions of the callers parentage or sexual peccadillos. However, once in a while it is just fun to lead them by the nose to the point where they think the payoff is in hand, and then smack them upside the head with the reality that they have just wasted their time and are not going to see one thin dime from me. I am sort of mean that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had the same phone call. Here is how I handled it....

    "Northern Nevada division of the FBI, Internet Fraud Division. This is special agent Johnson...how may I help you?"


    Click, they just hung up on me....and I was trying to be so helpful too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anon...That's good. And funny! I guess some people just don't appreciate kind, helpful folks like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Rob...Sometimes I just can't help myself, especially when it comes to someone who sole purpose is to steal what little I have!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Practical Parsimony...No, not really. I just have this sort of warped sense of humor. :)

    ReplyDelete