Thursday, November 14, 2019

It snowed.

 Again.  So I made a big bowl of potato salad and a ham sandwich and went on a picnic by the lake in my mind.  Sometimes when the world around me has gone completely bat guano crazy, a little voyage through fantasy land is all that keeps me sane.

Work on the quilts is coming along slowly but surely.  Today I should be able to get most of the quilt tops finished and with any kind of luck at all, I hope to hang them in the windows by the first part of next week.

I bought a bag of oranges that turned out to be too sour for my taste, so I sliced them thin and they are now in the dehydrator.  I have no idea what I will use dried orange slices for, but it seemed a shame to waste them.

Baked another loaf of bread.  Using the bread machine, it takes very little time or effort and I am liking the homemade bread so much better than store bought.  I really don't know why I haven't been doing this all along.  I suppose it is like Dad used to say, "Too soon old, too late smart."  :)

There is a sewing machine and a stack of fabric pieces calling my name.  Best get back at it.  Pictures to follow when they are done.

14 comments:

  1. I'm sure we're all looking forward to the photos. I think I mentioned that both of my grandmothers and a dear great aunt all quilted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorges...Don't get too excited. They are nothing fancy - just ordinary scrap quilts. :)
      I wish some of my older relatives had quilted. Those quilts made by grandmothers and aunts are true treasures.

      Delete
  2. Dip the dehydrated orange slices in melted dark chocolate. That's what my CA friend does with her excess oranges.
    Cheers, SJ in Vancouver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea, SJ...Can't hardly go wrong with a fruit and chocolate combo. :)

      Delete
  3. At least you'll have real windows this year!

    Yeah; oranges can be finicky. We have several citrus trees here on the rancho; oranges, lemons, and limes. Some harvests are diamonds, some are stone. Give 'em a couple of dry years and no amount of irrigation is going to keep the fruit from being "PIT-TOOWIE!!" sour.

    We had a rainy season like the good 'ol days last winter, so the citrus went wild. Of course, so did the gophers! We did pretty good this year though, all in all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Pete, I was thinking just the other day how nice it is to have the new windows in as opposed to last winter when I had one new window, one sheet of plywood and one old window. :)

      Good oranges here are kind of a crapshoot. Sometimes they are sweet and juicy and other times, not so much. Citrus just doesn't grow here in the tundra. Apples and plums, yes, but not oranges.

      Ah, the gophers. I remember them well from my gardening days. I still do not understand why the University of Minnesota made that pesky little rodent their athletic mascot, but there it is. :)

      Delete
    2. I know why the U of M made the gopher its mascot; they're tenacious and almost impossible to deal with! They're one of the most destructive beasts on Earth! You never WIN against gophers. At best it's an uneasy cease-fire. At worst they run the place! ...Cursed things, they are...



      Delete
    3. Pete...It all makes sense. I just thought of them as nasty little buggers whose purpose in life was to wreck my garden. Thanks for the explanation!

      Delete
  4. Yes It Did snow. I even had to take out the shovel. Sam my GS even helped after he came home from school. Homemade bread......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob...We didn't get enough snow to shovel and it has all but disappeared by now. Sure is coming early this year. Time flies, doesn't it. Hard for me to imagine Sam old enough to shovel snow. :)

      Delete
  5. Orange Marmalade comes to mind or making candied orange peel. Red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red...Both sound like great ideas. If I weren't knee deep in fabric at the moment, I might have used them like that instead of dehydrating. Next time...

      Delete
  6. After reading email this morning, my laptop had the hiccups. It's working fine now but might be DOA at any moment. Stay cozy!
    SJ in Vancouver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiccups in laptops are not a good thing. If I don't hear from you, I know why. Wishing you all the luck in the world in the curing of hiccups!!

      Delete