Monday, August 8, 2022

Take time...

to stop and smell the roses or the coffee or whatever pleases you.

Everywhere we look, we see warnings about what the 'elite' are doing to gain complete control over the rest of us.  And they seem to be doing just that.  High gas prices.  Rising grocery prices.  Shortages of products needed by farmers to provide the rest of us with food.  Hoards of illegal aliens washing over our borders like a tidal wave.  The list is endless.

Many of us who are preparing to keep our families fed during whatever disaster or plandemic happens next, are feeling like time is running out.  And we are wearing ourselves out doing everything possible to stay afloat.  This can lead to burnout or feeling like our efforts are not enough to make a difference.  And here is where taking time for rose and coffee sniffing comes in.

We need to take time to enjoy whatever makes us happy.  In my case, a morning spent with a daughter, a granddaughter and a couple of great grands provided me with enough 'happy' to last a while.


My grocery delivery this coming Thursday includes chicken breast and hamburger to be frozen until I can find enough jars to can it. And a variety of frozen vegetables to dehydrate. But until then, I am thoroughly enjoying myself with sewing a quilt for the young gentleman with all that dark hair. :)

We have enough bad stuff going on. And we will keep on doing our best for our families.  But now and then, we need to take time to enjoy whatever makes us happy.  Sometimes we get so wrapped up in preparing that we forget we still have lives to live.

Those who keep trying to make us miserable are going to hate the fact that even after they do their dirty deeds, we are still happy in our faith, our families and with life in general.

Go sniff a rose.

22 comments:

  1. Precious, Vicki...
    You are so right about taking time out to enjoy those we love and care about. Thank you for sharing...CW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, CW...That was such a fun day. We work hard but I think we need down time as well. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Great heartfelt post. Love the photos. What a blessing family is. Am so looking forward to connecting with my family in just a few days. Cheers, SJ in Vancouver BC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, SJ...Family is important and they are the reason I live in the land of humidity and tornadoes and blizzards. :)
      I am so very happy for you being able to be with family again.

      Delete
  3. Cute pictures!
    You wrote a post on cooking onions and canning them. I have searched your blog and cannot find them. Can you give me a clue as to where the post is located? Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, i find canning jars in all the stores here. We have them in abundance. I hope you can find enough for your canning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda...If I were smart, I would have labeled all my posts. But I am not and so I didn't. And just now I don't have the time to dig through all my posts.
      However, to can onions, I chop them, stuff them into half pint jars, add water to cover and pressure can at 10 lbs pressure for 45 minutes.
      To can caramelized onions, I chop them and put them into a crock pot on medium heat. For 10 lbs of chopped onions I add 1 stick of butter. I let them cook until they have turned a caramel color and then can them as regular onions, using the juice formed from cooking them as the liquid.
      Hope this helps.

      Delete
    2. Vicki,
      Thanks. I try to label all my posts, but blogger would not allow me for a while. I love caramelized onions, so canning the Vidalias in the spring/summer is the way I want to go. Thanks. I will write this down now. I always think I can remember when I read a post, but I can't!

      Delete
  5. Amen, Vicki. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vicki~ Babies are a blessing and oh so beautiful to behold. Red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red...They are truly a gift from God. The baby is a little snuggle bunny. I had forgotten that toddlers are basically Energizer Bunnies, but so much fun. :)

      Delete
  7. We are kindred spirits, born in near same year. (me-1948) I have been blessed with good health. But, my husband & I (53 years married) just shake our heads in disbelief that our Virginia dairy farm-raised kids (3) lean toward the Dem bullshit. Our freezers & pantry are full & the kids know we will share. Sunday, 8/7, I cooked a marked down (only way I buy) "use by" 8/2 bottom round roast that I purchased (on 8/2)which they all glowed as "the best ever". (butter, spices & temp control). Really- we didn't raise them to be such date police. If they only knew . . . Loved the picture of you with the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anon...Kindred spirits indeed. I do not understand younger generations at all. Why intelligent adults can not or will not see what is happening or can not see why preparing is so vitally important is completely baffling to me. If I should pass on to my reward before using my food storage becomes necessary, I fully expect them to toss most of it - especially all the food in jars. And anything outdated. Sigh. Guess I just need to live long enough to say, "I told you so." :)
      Yeah - the great grands are such fun!

      Delete
  8. not apropos but cannot get glen filthie to come on computer may be e m storm? or has he been cut off?

    ReplyDelete
  9. deb...I have no idea what is going on with him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen, Vicki. The littles are so cute. Enjoy the roses and coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anon...Babies, roses, coffee. It's all good.

      Delete
  11. Hi Vicki ...I am old enough to remember when young girls enjoyed holding and fussing over babies ... puppies and kittens too ! maybe we should ask potential aborters if they would like to hold a baby for a few minutes... just a thought ! Patrick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patrick...I, too, remember a time when snuggling babies, kittens and puppies was enjoyable to all except the grumpiest of persons. Me...I still enjoy all three. If we were killing kittens and puppies at the same rate we are killing babies, what an uproar there would be. We find homes for unwanted kittens and puppies. So sad that doesn't seem to apply to babies.

      Delete
  12. I don't mean to be rude, but I wanted to double-check the canning time for onions, and it said 70 minutes for half pints, and leave an inch headspace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not rude at all. There are several recipes for canning onions floating around. The one I use calls for 45 minutes processing time. Anyone canning anything should use the recipe they are most comfortable with.

      Delete