Friday, December 9, 2022

The Holidays for Old Folks

 This time of year can be a bit stressful for those of us with large families and limited income.  We worry about Christmas gifts for our kids and grands, without wrecking our budgets.  Here is how I solve that problem.

I have six grands, one grand-in-law and two great grands.  Because I don't know what gift would make each one happy, they get cash.  Teens in particular seem to like having extra spending money.  The little ones have something for the piggy bank that will eventually add up to a fair amount for them when they are older.  In order not to break the bank, I save a little here and a little there all year so I have enough set aside by December.

One year everyone got jars of my hot chocolate mix along with bags of homemade caramel corn.  But this year because health issues prevent me from doing large projects, my kids are getting hand written recipe cards that contain recipies from their grandmothers and a couple of aunts, all of whom are no longer with us.  There are stories connected to some of the recipies and I am including those, too.

Whenever there was a family gathering, my mother would make a cold shrimp salad.  At one of those gatherings I was fixing a plate for her and I asked if she wanted some shrimp salad.  She wrinkled her nose and said "Absolutely not.  I can't stand the stuff."  When I asked why she made it, she replied that it looked pretty in the bowl!  And that was Mother.  She loved 'pretty.'

Included is Dad's recipe for peanut brittle that he made every Christmas season.  His children called it "Dad's World Famous Peanut Brittle."  He almost always cooked it a bit too long so it had a slightly scortched taste, which distinguished it from other peanut brittle.  And that is how we liked it.

Mother's recipe for gingersnap cookies is there, too.  When growing up, my family lived in a big, old farmhouse with a large screened in porch.  We often had visits from relatives.  In the summer, Mother would serve her gingersnaps along with ice cold lemonade, all enjoyed on our front porch.

There are all sorts of ways to enjoy the Christmas season without spending a fortune.  All we need is a little imagination and to remember the reason for the season.

22 comments:

  1. In the end, it's all about gathering with family. The more; the merrier. With my family mostly gone, I've been blessed with my in-laws. They welcomed me into their family, and now that I know them better, I realize it's an honor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wholeheartedly agree, Jess. Seems we don't do enough of that any more.

      Delete
  2. Those recipes will be treasured forever. I know my favorites are the ones I have from my grandmothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer...Most of my recipes are those that were handed down from family members. They are also my favorites.

      Delete
  3. Gifts from the heart are always the best. Merry Christmas to you all, Vicki and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are spot on, LindaG...It is about being thoughtful and not about the amount of money spent. Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season.

      Delete
  4. Besides, most everyone has too much stuff anyhow. Even the littles end up with so many toys, that most don't even get played with. I think you have a nice plan and I think everyone will appreciate the recipes and the stories, more and more, as time goes on. Very thoughtful and full of love. Ranee (MN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rae...I think I would rather give the littles something that will come in handy sometime in the future, rather than just another toy. I asked one of my daughters if she would like hand written recipes for some of the foods commonly made by her grandparents. The answer was a resounding 'Yes.' With adding the stories, it is a good way to pass on some family history.

      Delete
  5. recipes for ginger snaps and brittle? when you have time
    please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here ya go, deb...Enjoy.

      Mom's Gingersnaps
      1 C. sugar
      3/4 C. shortening
      1 egg
      1 Tbsp. molasses
      2 C. flour
      1/4 tsp. salt
      1 tsp. each cinnamon, ginger and cloves
      2 tsp. soda
      Beat together sugar, shortening, egg and molasses. Stir in dry ingredients. Roll into balls the size of a walnut and dip in sugar. Bake - 350 degrees.

      Dad's World Famous Peanut Brittle
      1 C. butter
      2 C. sugar
      1 C. light corn syrup
      1/2 C. water
      3 C. peanuts (Dad used unsalted)
      1 tsp. soda
      Grease 2 small cookie sheets with butter. Combine sugar, syrup and water in a large heavy sauce pan. Bring to a boil, stirring often. When mixture reaches soft-crack stage (280 degrees), add peanuts. Stir to hard-crack stage (300 degrees). Remove from heat and stir in soda, mixing well. Pour onto cookie sheets. Cool and break into pieces.


      Delete
  6. I treasure our family’s old holiday recipes. What a special gift to give!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy...I hope my kids will look on this as a part of their history. Especially when there are memories about some of the foods.

      Delete
  7. I have a pea salad recipe that I will not touch with a 10-foot pole. I hate it. But, I serve it because it is pretty, people like it, and it is dead simple to make. Now, I know that I am allergic to English peas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda...I think that serving food to guests that looked pretty was important to my parent's generation - and some of ours as well. It just tickled me that Mother hated that dish and we never knew because she kept making it all those years.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you, Anon...Sometimes we need to be a bit inventive when there are lots of people and limited funds. :)

      Delete
  9. I really enjoyed reading about your family traditions with food. I'm sure your children will cherish these. You are so correct that the holidays are not about spending a ton of money but a season of love and gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed that, Lori...We want to give to others at Christmas time, but especially this year when inflation is getting so insane, it becomes difficult - but not impossible. :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you, One Family...Most times it is not about the money spent. It is about what is in our hearts. A number of years ago I asked my daughter what I should get for her son's graduation. She said he would love something his Grandma made. The tradition of a hand crocheted afghan for each graduating grandchild began there. Family traditions are important.

      Delete
  11. Love the post and the comments. I treasure seeing stories about my parents and grandparents. I just learned of a new story today about my mom and was just tickled. Your gift recipe cards and related stories sound awesome.

    With this move, I now have people to celebrate with and am also working hard not to over spend. The staff here I'm gifting with a cute little bag and a pair of cozy fleece slippers and some hard candies. For two families, I'm making acitivity boxes. A box for one family to make cookies and for the other family a box with craft supplies.

    SJ now in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ...My recipe card gifts are no surprise, having been approved by both daughters. And I am having fun digging into my memories for stories.

      I am so very glad that your move is working so very well for you. Your gifts to friends sound just right.

      Delete