Sunday, March 3, 2024

The Old Ways

 I have been a bit under the weather the last week or so.  Nothing serious.  It is "flu season," after all and this probably was just a mild case of the garden variety flu.  I expect that before long, the flu will suddenly become another horrible virus requiring several doses of whatever so called vaccine our government deems necessary, along with keeping folks indoors, wearing face diapers and all of the silly rules presented by those in power last time.

Unless we have learned anything at all from that debacle.

Since I haven't felt much like doing anything and because I have never been one to just sit and stare at the walls, I have been using the down time to work on my family tree.  While wading through my gene pool, it occured to me that if we pay attention, we have a lot to learn from those who have gone before.

My grandparents were Preppers.  They just didn't know it.

One of my grandfathers kept a roof over the heads of his family of six kids and food on the table during the Great Depression by finding and keeping a job that was necessary in his area.  He was for many years a depot agent for the railroad in the small northern Minnesota town where they lived.  In addition, his family kept a huge garden to help feed them.

My other grandparents raised a family of nine children on a small farm in the same area of Minnesota.  My Dad, the youngest kid, learned to love gardening while helping his mother raise food to feed their family.  They raised a litter of hogs every year, milked a few cows and raised chickens.  They were hunters who kept venison on the table along with the home raised pork and chicken.  Grandma canned as much food as possible, including the wild blueberries and raspberries that grew in that area.  

These activities were not anything special.  They were a way of life.

Unlike so many today, my ancestors didn't head for the Doctor's office or the Emergency Room of the hospital when they had a headache or a case of the sniffles.  When growing up, in my house an upset tummy was treated with Pepto Bismol and a bottle of 7-Up.  The common cold was dealt with using Vicks VapoRub.  And we all survived!

There is a blog that is chock full of all things preparedness.  I highly recommend it for references to so many aspects of preparing.   Jennifer has done much of the research so we don't have to.  Here is the link and her blog can be accessed using my sidebar.

Prep School Daily

Things aren't looking all that great these days.  I barely recognize the country I grew up in.  And it is more and more apparent that we as citizens are on our own.  Remembering how our ancestors lived and researching all aspects of being prepared for whatever cliff the elites decide to push us off is necessary for our survival.

As a friend of this blog is fond of saying:

"Larder full, powder dry and Bible open."

15 comments:

  1. During the Great Depression my grandfather, who was raised on a farm, took in a vacant lot next door and raised a large garden. They ate what they grew, and canned what they couldn't eat, since there were no freezers back then anyone could afford.

    One tale my mother told me was how they would sometimes only have a tomato, or cucumber, sandwich for their lunch they brought to school. To her, it was a blessing, since many children had nothing for lunch and went hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess...As a kid in country school, I remember one student bringing dill pickle sandwiches for his lunch and another saying he had 'air sandwiches' - two slices of bread with a little butter between. We did not live in a wealthy neighborhood and I was lucky that there was always a garden and venison in the fall of the year.

      Gardens and food preservation was a lifestyle. I really do believe that the loss of those skills will soon be regreted.

      Delete
  2. My Mom told the story that her Dad/my Grandpa learned to do income taxes during the Depression. Even with the Depression, people had to pay an income tax according to her. She said it was a way to put food on their table as he got paid in trades and not cash payments. She also used to say that she did enough vegetable gardening and canning to last her lifetime when she was a kid. SJ now in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think folks did whatever they could to get by during the Depression. My Dad went to work for the WPA (Works Progress Administration), where he was on a crew building a park at a local lake. He and his brother rode freight trains headed west to find jobs picking produce or working on grain thrashing crews. Whatever it took to help the family, they did it!

      Delete
  3. Get well soon, Vicki.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LindaG...I seem to be back to whatever 'normal' is these days. Take care and God bless you and yours!

      Delete
  4. Wow, Vicki, thank you for the shout out!

    And you take care and rest. I'm glad it was just a mild case for you. Everyone in my immediate family who is local got some form of a flu bug. Future son-in-law and my daughter-in-law were down for a day; my daughter, son, and husband wiped out for three days; my little granddaughter for about five, and another daughter and I for over a week. Excepting major abdominal surgery 15 years ago, this is the sickest I've been in 30 years. Resting was about all I had the energy to do.

    Hope you're feeling much better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer...I just wanted others to be aware of the wealth of information you have posted. It is truly amazing!
      I seem to be over whatever bug I had. Sounds like it found your entire family! Praying everyone has recovered. No fun - no fun at all!!

      Delete
  5. Vicki, I sometimes ponder the "culling" that would occur if our "just-in-time" infrastructure failed for any length of time at all. There are SO FEW LEFT of the folks who know "the old ways." Humanity has NEVER been in this position before! EVER! By the time enough people figure out how to stay alive without "modern conveniences," MILLIONS will have died!

    Indeed, our forebears would look upon our world as INSANE to be living the way it does, and not preparing for the "What if's." I endeavor not to be counted among that number, nor among the number piled high in mass graves when the other shoe drops...

    As I've said many times already, larder deep, powder dry, and Bible open...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete...I had a perfect example of this today. As I am sure you know, I require home health nursing care. My favorite nurse, Caroline, was here today and she had an older lady with her - a new hire - that she was introducing to clients. Caroline asked If I had plans for the weekend. I told her that if my grocery order is complete tomorrow, I will spend the weekend canning 'meals in pint jars.' (Chunks of meat topped with a variety of veggies in broth.)

      The new nurse was astounded that I would can meals rather than just freeze them. She wanted to know how I learned home canning and I told her it was just part of my lifestyle that began when I was about 12 years old. Previous generations all had this skill and passed it on. Sadly, I think her astonishment is more the norm than is knowing about the skill.

      I'm with you. I refuse to be among those who in all likelihood will be digging in dumpsters for their next meal. Those who think all is well are sadly mistaken. In my opinion, the more we plan ahead and the more we can do for ourselves, the better.

      Larder, powder, Bible. The only way to go!

      Delete
  6. I hope your absence is not a bad sign. Looking forward to your next post. Greetings from Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking. All is well. Just have been really busy - mostly preparedness related stuff. With all the craziness going on around us, it seems like the more we can put back, the better. Will try to get another post up here soon.

      Delete
  7. I was beginning to worry as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, BarbaCat and Jennifer. Kind of got busy, but managed a new post this evening. Thanks for caring!!

      Delete