Thursday, October 14, 2010

An Afternoon at the Apple Orchard

Last Sunday felt more like a summer day than a fall one.  Not your typical Minnesota fall day, but a good day for a trip to the apple orchard.

David, Staci and the kids came by my place.  The kids always like to see my resident furballs, so after some serious doggie and kitty petting, we headed out to the orchard to pick apples.

According to Boston, Maddie and Jacob, it is against the law to pick apples before having pony rides, so that was first on the agenda.





Then we got on the wagon pulled by a tractor, much to Jacob's delight, and headed out to the orchard.

I was so busy picking apples with Boston and Maddie helping me fill two big bags, that I forgot to take pictures.  But I did get this one of the girls enjoying the fruits of their labor.


We weren't very far away from the main buildings at the orchard, so we just took a leisurely walk back, where we found that trail through the woods that I showed you in the last post.



After stopping for a late lunch, we headed back home.  It had been a truly wonderful day.  I always so enjoy spending time with my kids and grandkids, and there was the added bonus of apples.  Fresh off the tree.  Doesn't get much better than this.

So now it was time to do something with all of those apples.  I have recently gotten back to canning much of my own food, as I did years ago.  So that is what I did with most of the apples.  There is apple pie filling, applesauce and apple jam.  I'm thinking that they will taste really good over the winter.




I still have these left over...



so today I am making apple muffins, a couple of loaves of apple bread and whatever other recipes I can find to use them up.

I would show you the apple crisp I made, but it didn't last long enough to photograph.

No comments:

Post a Comment