Thursday, December 26, 2013

Gentle Snowfall

I glanced out my window a little while ago and saw huge snowflakes drifting down.  It is beautiful to watch, even in the city.  Driving in it - not so much.  Looking at the weather map, it doesn't look like it will amount to much.

Those flakes floating down reminded me of days building snowmen with my young children, of snow forts built by those same kids and of snowball fights.  And of days I lived among the tall pines where a walk through the woods during a snowfall such as this was like walking through a fairy land.  And of crisp, cold nights where the light of a full moon made the snow sparkle like diamonds.  And of the taste of hot cocoa made from real milk with marshmallows floating on top that was so good after an afternoon of playing in the snow.

It is amazing to me what memories can be triggered just by the falling of a few large flakes of snow.

4 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh, with temps in the mid-thirties a snowfall would just what the doctor ordered. Christmas isn't quite the same in these temps.

    Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dani, I am not a big fan of winter, but having lived here in the Great White North most of my life, I think I would really miss Christmas without snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story reminded me of when is was in elementary school and we lived north of Bemidji. It was pretty.
    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, there are few places more beautiful in winter than northern MN. There is just something about new fallen snow on the pines that is breathtaking. And nights when we watched the northern lights comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete