there was a relatively peaceful building with apartments above a bicycle shop. This peace and quiet was shattered about 11:00 last evening by the sound of a smoke alarm. There was no smoke smell and my alarms were quiet. I headed out into the hallway to see if I could tell where the noise was coming from. It was coming from the apartment directly across the hall, which is occupied by a single guy and his dog.
I gave the guy a little bit of time to get the alarm shut off. I know all about our smoke alarms that will sound for the most slim of reasons. But he doesn't shut it off. By this time 10 minutes have past. I knocked on his door, thinking that maybe something was wrong with him. No answer. His dog started barking when I switched from knocking to pounding. Still no answer.
Down the hall and around the corner I went, fashionably dressed in nightgown and robe, to see if I can rouse the caretaker couple. No such luck.
Back to my apartment, meeting another neighbor on the way who was just as fashionably dressed as I was and who was not pleased about being awakened. If we had chickens, she would be going to bed when they did and getting up with them. Unlike the night owl that I am.
I called the landlord, apologizing for the lateness of the hour and explained the situation. I didn't want to call 911 if there is no reason. He says he will call me back.
Took the landlord two calls to wake up the caretakers. The guy in the apartment where the smoke alarm was still beeping like mad, never did answer. The dog was not happy. Neither was the sleepy chicken lady neighbor. 20 minutes had now passed since I first heard the alarm.
Turns out the guy across the hall had been doing his level best to see that the whiskey industry remained solvent. When the caretakers finally went into his apartment, they found him passed out on his couch and his pizza that was in the oven, burned to a crisp. The dog was glad to see the caretakers. He is such a nice dog.
They shut off the alarm, deposited the round piece of charcoal in the kitchen sink and ran water over it to stop it from smoking, shut off the oven and fed the dog.
And we all lived happily ever after. Except for the guy across the hall who is probably nursing a monumental hangover today.
Links You May Find Interesting
1 hour ago