Thursday, June 22, 2017

The Plants in My Windowsills

They are growing.  By some miracle I have managed to keep them alive - so far.

The cantaloupe, zucchini and cucumbers are flourishing.  They have beautiful green leaves and are beginning to spread out.

I have two pots of cherry tomatoes grown from saved seeds.  They are slow to grow, but are beginning to leaf out.  I thinned them down to about six plants per pot.

The bell peppers finally popped through the soil and have grown a couple of inches.

The green peas are maybe 6 - 8 inches tall and have fallen over, but they are still alive and growing.

And last but not least, the yellow snap beans are setting on blossoms.  Amazing!  If they form actual beans, there may be enough for a meal.

If the plants are still alive in a week or so, I will take some pictures to post.  I was kind of busy today, what with my grocery delivery and getting 12 lbs. of hamburger ready to can tomorrow.

The plants in my little windowsill garden must be tough.  They have to be to still live in spite of my abysmal track record with indoor plants.  Even if I get nothing off them, it is still fun watching them grow.  :)

8 comments:

  1. Remember, you may have to hand pollinate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorges...I looked it up. The cantaloupe, zucchini and cucumbers are pollinated using a Q-tip. The rest are just a matter of giving the blossoms a shake as they self-pollinate. I will be surprised if they get to that point. :)

      Delete
    2. That is a nice little garden. Even one thing per plant to eat would tickle me.

      Delete
  2. Linda...If I get anything off the plants, I will consider it a bonus. For now, it is just fun to see that they are actually growing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought a smile to my face - picturing your little garden. Cheers, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ...Even if my little garden produces nothing, it is still brightens up my little corner of the world. Makes me smile, too.

      Delete
  4. We have a lot of indoor plants that we move out to the porch come summer. They're some kind of ivy, and do well in both environments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry...This is sort of an opposite experiment to see if outdoor vegetables can be grown in pots indoors. If a life changing event does happen, we will be staying put as we have no place to run and I wanted to see if I could produce food, no matter how small the amounts, indoors. Duane and Lori are growing tomatoes on the communal deck of the building and I may try that next year. At least having the plants in my living room, chances are pretty good I will remember to water them. :)

      Delete