Monday, September 10, 2018

Dear Celebrities...

I wonder how many of you remember just what your job entails.  Let me remind you.  Your job, the one you chose to make your life's work, is to entertain me. 

It may be that you chose to be a comedian.  You have a library of jokes and stories that make me laugh and over the years you have succeeded in doing just that.

You may be an actor.  Through movies, plays and television you have shown me a world beyond that of my imagination.  You have pulled at my heartstrings, caused me to weep, to smile, to think, to remember.  You have given me many hours of viewing pleasure.

Perhaps you are a star of the music world.  Your voice has risen to incredible heights.  Your instrumentals have been heard with heartfelt awe and emotion.  Your music has accompanied both the good times and the sad times in the lives of your fans.

Maybe you are one who excels at sports.  You are the one my grandson looks up to and the one he wants to be when he grows up.  You are a role model to him.  You represent not only talent, but also fair play, sportsmanship and the willingness to be a team player.

I have to tell many of you that you have failed to do your jobs.  You have gone out of your way to loudly and proudly proclaim to the world that you have become unhinged when it comes to our President.  You have not only disrespected the office, but you have done so in the most vile and vulgar of terms.  Some of you have taken to disrespecting our National Anthem and our beloved American Flag that represents the country that gave you the freedom to do so.

I will defend your right to say or do whatever you feel the need to say or do within the confines of the law.  But I will remind you that words and deeds have consequences.

If you think it is funny to stand before an audience and talk about our President and those who work for him and support him, in the most vile and disgusting of terms, I will not watch your performances.

If you think it is cute to spew vulgarities at an awards ceremony or during an interview, or if you really think I appreciate your wisdom in telling me how I should join you in your hatred, I will not watch your movies or television dramas.

If your concerts or songs include rants against our President, I will listen to someone else's music.

And I will encourage my grandson's parents to point him in the direction of sports heroes who not only have talent and ability, but who also have class.

I do not believe it is required of us to love our President. There have been some over the years who, in my opinion, had less than stellar performances.  There hasn't been even one with whom I was in complete agreement.

But the office of the leader of the free world deserves our respect, as does our Anthem and our Flag.  And if we fail to do so or if we, by our silence, condone this slap in the face to our President and the symbols of patriotism and love of our country by those who are citizens of the same and who enjoy more freedoms than any other nation on earth,  then we are as good as finished.

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Anon...Thank you. Just telling it the way I see it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cathy...Thanks. They just irritate me sometimes. :)

      Delete
  3. Indeed, these people would do well to realize that they sell something no one actually NEEDS. True; we all need entertainment, but that can be generated locally, most times without cost. These people; I don't NEED to see their movies. I don't NEED to play their music. I don't NEED to watch people who are paid MILLIONS to play a GAME, only to see them kneel in protest, claiming to be "oppressed." Nope; they can keep their "products..." I've got better things to spend my money on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete...My feelings exactly. I think what set me off was the latest Nike commercial featuring that poor, oppressed millionaire of a football player. That and more of the same from the celebrity Trump hating crowd. I am just sick to death of it all. I can think of a hundred ways to entertain myself without contributing to their bankrolls or their causes. Phooey on the lot of them.

      Delete
  4. Wow. Just wow.

    That is one of the best essays I've ever read. Talk about hitting the nail on the head...

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane...This old lady can take just so much before she blows a gasket. :)
      I am so very tired of the hate filled remarks simply because their girl lost. And the condescending attitude of those who seem to think they are better than the rest of us. A pox on them all!

      Delete
  5. Excellent essay Vicki...I agree with you on every point. I am always amazed that celebrities/actors expect me to value their viewpoint when they make their living spouting words that others have written for them. The latest Nike stunt confirmed that I won't be buying any of their products every again. I agree they have the right to say whatever they want and I have right to ignore them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, carol. I have a hard time believing that folks who earn their living pretending to be someone they aren't would have a good grip on reality. Most haven't the foggiest idea how the rest of us live. But yet they seem to think they know what is best for us. They don't.

      Delete
  6. Excellent post! I feel exactly as you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lynney62...There are times when we reach the point of saying 'enough is enough.' I do believe I have reached that point. :)

      Delete
  7. I have lost respect for those with the Hippocrates attitude. Jim Carry was funny, you run your mouth, I'm done with you. Sports stars, you knee for some stupid reason, Sorry I don't watch your games. Yes entertain me make me laugh, cry, whatever. Shoot your mouth off, I'm done, See you loser.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Rob...I think it is the superior attitude that gets me. I don't need someone who lives in a fantasy world that has nothing to do with the way I live, telling me what to do. And you have known me long enough to know I don't take kindly to folks telling me what I should do. :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for this, mom.
    It's a cruel world out there and I'm so glad we have a President who has the kahuna's to call out those who spread fake news and untruths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Son...I totally agree with you. It is about time someone stood up to those who wouldn't know the truth if it bit them in the posterior. I honestly believe that the 'never Trump' contingent is more afraid of the truth than they are of the man.

      Delete