Wednesday, October 10, 2018

It Rained...

yesterday.  It rained the day before yesterday.  It is going to rain tomorrow.  And the day after tomorrow.  It is raining now.  I wonder if I can find building plans for an ark online.

Youngest son called me yesterday.  He was picking Maddie Mae up from gymnastics, so I talked to her, too.  The gymnastics season hasn't started yet, but she practises and says she is learning some new moves.  I made her promise to pester her Dad until he took some video of her so I can see what she is doing.  She said she would be happy to do just that.

Boston's school now and then has a themed day.  A week or so ago, the theme was patriotism.  Boston wanted to wear a Trump 'Make America Great Again' hat.   David said he couldn't find one in time.  Even so, I was so proud!!  We both agreed that the way things are these days, wearing a Trump hat might have gotten her beat up.  I still love the fact that the hat was her first choice for the day. 

I was going to make beef stew and biscuits last week but life just got in the way.  So today I put a big pot of stew on the back burner to simmer the better part of the afternoon.  Duane came over to eat supper with me and took a bowl full home to take in his lunch when he goes to work tomorrow.  Wish he had taken more - I will be eating stew the rest of the week.  :)

There is really very little going on here at the moment.  I read or crochet or nap.  I have ordered some more food for the dehydrator - hash browns and corn - that will arrive Thursday.

I have noticed that some of the bloggers I read regularly are experiencing the same sort of uneasiness that I am.  And maybe a sense of urgency to fill in any gaps in the preps.  Sort of like waiting for the other shoe to drop.  My retired cop friend who keeps me and several others informed of what is going on around us, has been more prolific with his emails lately.  I might have to give him a call and see what he knows for sure.  In the meantime, I just keep adding to the shelves as often as I can.  Seems like the smart thing to do.

12 comments:

  1. Times have always been uncertain, so prepping is always good. Between deficit spending and enemies within and without, anything could happen, though nothing may..........for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorges...I know that within the prepping community there are those who want some sort of zombie apocalypse so they can say, 'I told you so.' Me...I would rather see things settle down and get back to the way they used to be. But with the escalating violence and craziness, I'm not at all sure that is possible. Wait and see - prep and pray.

      Delete
  2. I am trying to stock up, and as you said, it's uncertain. I miss my meat chickens and the stockage I got from that, and I plan to get more in my freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina...The times we live in are a bit crazy, aren't they! But a summer storm or a winter blizzard could just as easily put us in a position of relying on what is in the cupboard. I'm just a country girl stuck in the city. This stocking up thing is a way of life for me. If nothing else, it provides peace of mind.

      Delete
  3. For that very reason, I added another gallon of stored water to my stash yesterday. I almost didn't and then thought, I might regret that at some point. And with a little Tetris action, I found a place for the jug. Also got in an extra bag of dog food last week for the same reason.

    Looks like a 'non-rain' day here but not sunny. And, I'm feeling better. I think some crud just caught up with me.
    Cheers, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ...Good for you on the extra water. Tetris action is a good description. I find myself doing that in order to squeeze just one more item on a shelf. :) I can't do like some do and buy tons of supplies, but it is amazing how quickly they add up, a little at a time. I am not surprised that you store extra food for Mr. Dog. So many don't think about our furry buddies and they depend on us for everything.

      Glad you are feeling better. That crud seems to be making the rounds. Still raining off and on here, but now they are telling us we may see some snowflakes tonight or tomorrow. Crazy weather this year.

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately, I only keep one extra bag of dog food on hand which is enough for 3 weeks. He's on a prescription kibble and even though the best buy date is far off, I'm always a bit leery. It goes 'off' quick enough that I have to rebag the kibble and keep it in the refrig or freezer once the bag is opened. Or perhaps MrDog is just that sensitive with his food allergies. Hard to say.

      BTW, have you ever done a post about what else you stock up on besides food and water? I try for a good selection of OTC meds - would like to keep more but dont' know about the expiration dates vs. use. I do well on stuff that doesn't expire -tp, kleenex, various soaps and cleaners. I've pared down the variety of what I use to store to a few select items. And lots of bar soap --ha!
      Cheers, SJ

      Delete
    3. SJ...I didn't know that dry dog food would go rancid until I stocked way up on kibble when I had my Yorkies and about half of it went bad. I know that dogs will eat just about anything - the more rotten, the better. Mine would dine in the kitty litter box if I didn't keep an eye on them. But I didn't want to chance them getting sick from bad food, so I tossed it and after that, kept the extra in the freezer.

      Good idea for a post. Thanks. I need to go through my list and pare it down as well. I start out with grand ideas of what to stockpile and then realize that unless I keep the stuff in bags and hang them from the ceiling, I have no place to store stuff. I will do a post on that in the near future.

      Delete
  4. I have prescription kibble for my cats. I buy a large bag and break it down into quart jars. Then use the vacuum sealer lid on them. Keeps them fresh.

    Red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red...What a great idea. I wouldn't have thought to use the vacuum sealer for pet food. I don't have pets any more. Health issues are such that I fear I can't take proper care of pets any more. But I will pass this on to those who do. Or maybe go back, gather up the good ideas from commenters for a post. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. All of them. An animal lover like me couldn't bear to leave any behind. Except for maybe snakes and mosquitoes. :)

      Delete