Saturday, December 15, 2018

Family and Friends

The time we learn what family is all about is the time when life smacks us upside the head.

Duane's brother and sisters have been at the hospital with him off and on, sort of taking turns and keeping track of his progress.

His two aunts on his Dad's side, along with several of their family members visited him in the afternoon on Friday.  One of those aunts works at the Sister Kenny Rehab Center at Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis, and has started the ball rolling to try to get him in there.  The Sister Kenny centers are the premier centers for stroke rehabilitation.  We are praying that he qualifies for admittance  and that his insurance will not quibble over that treatment.  We should know Sunday or Monday if he will be transferred.

My brother drove the 230 miles one way from his home in northern Minnesota to here, and spent time with Duane.  He then came to see me and it was good to be able to spend a couple of hours with him.

I have a cousin living in Texas.  We haven't seen each other since we were children.  We 'message' on Facebook.  She has been in touch with Duane through FB, so I let her know what had happened.  She asked for the phone number of his room and she called him.  They had a nice phone visit and I think it cheered both of them up.  And it gave her a reason to tease a bit about our Minnesota/Scandinavian accent compared with her Texas drawl.  :)

When I talked with Duane this evening I asked how he was doing.  He said his main goal at present was to be able to stand without tipping over.  His sense of humor is alive and well.   When he first went to the hospital I think he thought he would maybe stay overnight, the doctors would sprinkle some fairy dust and he would be back at work  Monday.  He now knows that it will take time and hard work to recover.  If anyone can do it, it is my wonderfully stubborn and determined son.

My kids are keeping an eye on Mom, too.  They know how much of a help Duane has been to me.  Living next door, he has run errands, hauled out trash and brought me my mail, among many other things.  So they ask if I need anything.  David is stopping by tomorrow to do a trash run.  I said I wouldn't let him in unless there was ice cream involved and he allowed as to how that could happen.  :)

Everything is on hold over the weekend and then we will see what the next step is for Duane.  I can not begin to express my thanks for the positive thoughts and prayers you all have sent for us.  Duane was blown away when he saw all the comments with prayers and good wishes for his recovery.  God bless you all.

11 comments:

  1. I am overwhelmed by all the prayers and support. I can't express how grateful I am. Duane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duane, your mom has a lot of friends and we figure you've inherited her goodness. That gives us even more reason to pray for you (besides all that bragging she does - ;-) ).

      Delete
    2. Gorges, I appreciate it more than you know. Duane

      Delete
  2. Prayers continue for Duane and you from NW Texas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, CottonLady...I have a feeling God is being bombarded with prayers on our behalf. So many good people out there!

      Delete
  3. Family and friends who rally around are certainly to be treasured. You and Duane are blessed Vickie.

    Thanks for the update. I've been checking in often to see what's happening. Sounds like Duane is in a great place for his care. Will keep him and you in my prayers. Have you ever seen the movie The Prayer Room? It's one that I find very inspiring.
    It's sunny here in between rain storms. Will get out today and enjoy a walk with MrDog. He'll be happy since he won't have to wear his rain jacket.
    Sending hugs. SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ...I am absolutely overwhelmed by the outpouring of positive thoughts and prayers for me and mine. It goes a long way to making a bad situation tolerable.

      We are pretty much in a holding pattern until we find out what the next move is. Duane's siblings have stepped up to the plate and are working on getting things like rent, disability etc. taken care of while he is working on getting well. I couldn't be more proud of them.

      I have this mental picture of a big Golden Retriever strolling down the street, wearing a yellow slicker and matching Sou'wester rain hat. That will keep me smiling the rest of the day!!!

      Delete
  4. Duane ~ Do your gracious Mother a favor and never ignore "that funny feeling" again. Otherwise many people in your family, including the Good Lord, will be upset with you.

    Red

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm still grounded until early March from driving, otherwise I would stop by on a emergency DQ run. Glad your son is improving. Can't understand who in the world he gets his stubbornness from??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob...It is the thought that counts! I have been promised a DQ in the near future. :)

      Gee, Rob, I have no clue where his stubborn streak comes from!! In reality, when someone tells either one of us, "You can't do that," we say, "Hide and watch." I think that stubbornness and determination will be key in his recovery.

      Delete