Tuesday, January 15, 2019

A Light Bulb Moment

I have a new cleaning lady.  She is fairly young and is a city girl who didn't grow up as we rural types did, preserving our own food.  So I was rather surprised yesterday when she had finished her job, she came to me and said, "I don't mean to be nosy, but when I was dusting those jars of food on your shelves in the bedroom, I saw jars of cream cheese.  And butter.  And bacon.  Why do you do all of that?"

Now usually if someone comments about my shelves full of home canned food, it is accompanied by remarks about tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theory nuts.  But she was genuinely interested, so I explained that should there be an emergency like a storm that knocked out the local power for any length of time, I didn't need to worry about food going bad when the freezer wasn't working or that should there be a national emergency, I had enough food canned to last a long time without having to go to a store. 

This conversation took place in my living room where another shelf of home canned food sets against a wall.  She wanted to know about those jars, so I explained about canning different kinds of soups and the makings for stews that fill two shelves and about the fruit on another shelf.

Then she said, "So that's why you keep all those cases and bottles full of water.  If the electricity doesn't work, the water won't work either."

It is fun to watch a person pick up on a new idea - sort of like watching a light bulb slowly become brighter.  She had questions about how to can different foods and questions about other ways to prepare. 

It isn't often that we who believe in being prepared have a chance to answer legitimate questions about the life style.  We usually get ridicule.  This was one of those rare 'light bulb' moments and I enjoyed every minute of it.

8 comments:

  1. How nice that your cleaning girl came to you with her question! You provided her with a logical reason for the stored food. You may have taught her something that could be very valuable to her. You can teach those that want to learn but you can't teach a thing to those that already "know it all." Now you will have a lot to talk about in the future...CW :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW...It was refreshing to find someone who was genuinely interested in the reasoning behind keeping food storage. I won't push the subject, but at least now she knows she can come to me with any questions she might have.

      Delete
  2. How fun to find someone really interested. Who knows,maybe you'll find some canning help. I first learned to can from a co-worker who had plum trees in her yard and invited me over to help out. My 'cost' was to bring the sugar. Hahaha.
    I have yet to find anyone local who shares my interests in a 'deep' pantry. I keep hoping and praying.
    And, btw, have you posted about pressure canning the cream cheese? I don't remember the post if you did.
    Cheers, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ...She is the first person I have found who showed an interest in home canning or in developing a deep pantry. I won't push any more information on her, but will surely answer any questions.

      I got the idea of canning cream cheese from a You Tuber who goes by Katz Cradul. She hasn't posted any videos for a long time, but has lots of good information. The following is a link to her video about canning cheddar cheese and cream cheese.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQo29wCbS8M

      I haven't tried canning cheddar cheese, but might give it a go one of these days.

      Delete
  3. You've planted a seed, Vicki. It would be neat if it would sprout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorges...I was surprised that someone of the younger generation was so interested. I hope she continues, for her own sake.

      Delete
  4. I want to insert a sarcastic comment, but for the life of me, I can't. Its always nice to see someone catch on to something so simple as a home food pantry. Oh your new and improved foil bonnet is done, I will ship it today...See I knew I had one someplace. It must have been hiding in the back corner of my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob...It is really nice when the younger ones show an interest. Most times that generation seems to think nothing bad will ever happen. I hope she continues on that path.

      The new tin foil bonnet is welcome. I have just about worn out my old one. :)

      Delete