Sunday, January 21, 2024

Memories

 I got a call from my son a few days ago.  Actually, it was a FaceTime call.  He showed me what he was cooking for supper and he showed me a cyst on their dog's tail that will be removed soon and he showed me his lovely wife so I could wave and say 'Hello.'

But mostly the call was to let me know that he would be stopping by to see me Friday morning.

His oldest daughter had given her Mom and Dad each a book.  The books are filled with questions about their early lives.  And then my Granddaughter decided that she knows about her ancestors, but knows very little about her Grandma's early life.  So my son brought me one of the books to fill out.  I hope my memory still works.  It should.  I couldn't tell you what I had for supper two nights ago, but I pretty much remember the 50's and 60's!!

This book is not something to be filled out in an evening.  This will take time.  It asks questions beginning with my birth, through childhood an on to young adulthood.  I actually think this is a great way to preserve family memories.  The website for the book is:

www.questionsaboutme.com

There are a couple of questions In the book I'm not sure I can or will answer due to the answers being very personal.  But a lot of the questions trigger memories.  One is asking which parent as a toddler I liked spending the most time with.  That reminded me of my Dad telling me that I liked to "help" when he was working on his car.  While he was working under the hood, I was busy at the other end bashing the tail light with a rock.  :)

I'm glad that my Granddaughter wants to know more about her Grandma.  I wish I knew more about my parents and grandparents early lives.  It is a good thing to keep family memories and traditions.  So many seem to be lost just now.  Nothing is as important as family and faith.

8 comments:

  1. I actually bought journals and made my own books like that and gifted both of my parents one. When they passed, not one family member could find the journals (sadly).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that my interest being in ancestors, it never occurred to me to document my own life. What a nice gift you gave your parents and how incredibly sad the journals were lost.

      Delete
  2. Another great project. My Aunt composed a book like that for all her kids (my cousins) and gifted me a copy as well. The book is one of my treasures. SJ now in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ...I kind of think that creating family treasures is what my granddaughter had in mind. She likes to tease me about being obsessed with ancestors (she's right) so I guess this book is to counter that. At any rate, I love it!

      Delete
  3. It's a wonderful thing, Vicki. Have fun and God bless. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LindaG...It seems the questions in this book are triggering memories and I am enjoying that. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Vicki, I would suggest also starting a diary (journal). Nothing elaborate. Just a couple sentences of each day's happenings of interest (I started mine in 2018 when I retired). Does wonders for jogging the memory years later. I just finished transcribing my great-grandfather's Journals spanning 1889-1902. The information in them is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, Don...Wish I had thought about that years ago. Having your great-grandfather's journals is a treasure! I have in my possession several letters written by some of my aunts. But it is the 60 + transcribed letters given me by a cousin that are my treasure. They are letters written by my grandfather and his parents and siblings. For someone like me who is deeply into genealogy, they are also priceless. And aren't we lucky to have them!

      Delete