Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Odds and Ends

 I'm sort of between major projects just now.  My grocery order arrives Thursday afternoon.  I have ordered nothing that needs to be processed except for frozen shredded hashbrowns to dehydrate.  Love having those on hand.  I just soak them for maybe 10 minutes,  drain and fry them up.  Taste just like fresh.

This time I am filling in the gaps in my storage.  More rice.  Instant dry milk.  Canned apricots because I sort of depleted my supply because I ate them.  And more peanut butter because I am a sucker for microwave peanut butter fudge.

Microwave 1 cup sugar, 2 Tbsp. butter and 1/3 cup milk for 3 minutes.  Stir to blend and then stir in 1 cup peanut butter.  Pour into a buttered 8 or 9 inch pan.  Chill until firm.  Easy to make when the sweet tooth is screaming to be satisfied.

I have been spending time working on getting my family tree ready for printing.  I keep hearing about threats on our electric grid as well as threats of internet problems.  I have spent more years than I care to think about gathering information on my ancestors.  It would break my heart to lose it all, especially since I hope someday my kids and grands may have an interest in where they come from.

And speaking of Grands, I have two in college.  And I worry about them.  I don't know if the insanity going on in many universities has hit the school of one of them, but I see where there are riots at the school where my other granddaughter is due to graduate within a couple of weeks.  How does this happen?  Why are students allowed to riot against those of the Jewish faith?  And didn't we have something similar happen in the late 1930's and early 1940's?  This isn't just "freedom of speech or freedom of assembly."  If this abomination isn't stopped, history may very well repeat itself.  

In talking with a friend, the topic came up about the lack of skills within the younger ones in our society.  They seem to have all sorts of smarts when it comes to anything electronic but tell them to bake a loaf of bread or change a car tire or have a cup of coffee that didn't come from Starbucks, and they are lost.  Don't suppose it is entirely their fault if nobody ever bothered to teach them the skills that are important for survival.  Sad, really.  When push comes to shove, they are mostly doomed.


I would prefer to keep a good attitude going, but lately I find that somewhat difficult to do.  Every day there is something else in the world surrounding us to be concerned about.  So I continue to do what I feel is important to me and my family.  Sometimes all I can do is order more canned apricots, so order them I do.  If nothing else, my family will have food.

Stack it and pray, my friends.  Stack it and pray.

6 comments:

  1. Vicki,
    First, powdered milk is useful for more than contingency. I use very little milk, so it spoils putting a half cup per couple days on cereal. You can use less water so it tastes just like cream as well. Second, back up your genealogy information on a removable plug-in unit often. Also, sometime take the drive to a print shop and have them print a hard copy of what you have (might cost a bit, but you have a permanent record of what you have done so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don...I agree completely on the use of powdered milk. I am finding that some grocery store milk seems to go bad sooner than it once did, so I rely on the powdered for many uses.

      Some time back I purchased an external hard drive and have everything important from my computer stored on it. And I can update it easily.

      As far as printing my genealogy information, taking it to a printshop is an excellent idea. However, since I am housebound due to medical issues, I would have to ask one of my kids to do that for me, and they do enough for me the way it is.

      My solution was the purchase of a laser printer, extra toner cartridges, and a case of paper along with file folders. The plan is to do the printing at home, a little at a time and properly file everything. I realize this is a monumental task as I have been researching for years, but well worth the time and trouble for future generations.

      Delete
  2. Hi Vicki,

    I just spent the last evening filling up empty buckets with long-term storage staples myself. The shopping trip for those foods came with a side order of sticker shock. I KNOW I paid less than $18 for 25 lbs of white wheat the last time I bought it, 6-12 months ago (can't remember). Yesterday, it was just under $24. It think price increases were similar for the dry beans. I don't understand why I can still by 25-lb bags of flour for $9.59 out here in Smallville. Those bags of flour were marked $11.79 at the cheapest in the big city stores I visited.

    My family has laughed about that very Far Side comic for years, as there are a couple of us always pushing on the door that says to pull. I never realized until now, however, that it is a perfect commentary on our society today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer...I love to hear how others are storing and stacking. Each of my grocery orders sees price increases. From what I am told, the store my service uses still has no empty shelves like some I have heard about. But prices continue to climb.

    Yeah, I had to laugh when I saw that cartoon. Others tell me about family and friends who are completely clueless. We aren't talking about stupid people, just ones who think everything is just dandy. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicki,

      Would it be okay to share your recipe on my blog? I altered it to use coconut oil instead of butter ('cause coconut oil is shelf-stable) and it turned out great.

      Delete
    2. Jennifer...Of course you can. I haven't a clue where I found it. Love that others can enjoy. :)

      Delete