Saturday, May 4, 2013

Sugar Glider

This is a Sugar Glider.



And just so my family doesn't panic... no, it is not mine.  I know that I have dragged home a variety of four-footed furry friends over the years, but not this time.

My friend and former employer, Starla, got the Sugar Glider a couple of weeks ago, so I had to go down to her shop next door to see it.  I didn't think that there was anyone worse than me for dragging home animals, but I think she has me beat.  She told me that Sugar Gliders stay small and that they can glide through the air like a flying squirrel.  They also like to spend time in pouches.  She had found some, but they were expensive, so she asked me would I sew up some pouches for her if she bought some fabric.  So that's what I've been doing for the last couple of days.



The pouches are lined and the strings are long enough for Starla to tie around her neck to carry the Glider that way to help it bond with her, or they can be tied to the top of the cage for it to sleep in.  It is a good thing that I made fourteen of the pouches, for by the time I finished them, she had gotten a second Glider.  It seems that they do better if there are more than just one.  It was kind of fun to do something a bit different from the routine, and gave me an excellent excuse to put off the rest of my spring cleaning for a couple of days!

I won't be getting a Sugar Glider because I have visiting rights.  And that is enough.

1 comment:

  1. How kind of you to have offered your sewing services to a friend who needed it, Vicki! Sugar gliders are very picky when it comes to their sleeping pouches. At any rate, I'm sure that the pouches you sewn had made it possible for Starla's sugar glider to sleep comfortably. Anyway, I hope you change your mind about getting a sugar glider of your own. After all, they can be very sweet companions. Take care!

    Sherri Briggs @ The Pet Glider

    ReplyDelete