Friday, June 22, 2018

Bullwinkle and the News

Most mornings I scroll through the news websites while getting my caffeine fix.  The news wears me down.  If politicians aren't fussing about one thing, they are fussing about another.  None of which makes any sense to me any more.  They pretty much spend their time blaming one another for what is wrong and spend no time working together to fix the problems.  They would rather call each other names and throw tantrums.  I have seen better behavior on a playground full of toddlers.

I have pretty much given up on the news.  It isn't really news, after all.  It is finding 'causes' to use as ammunition to fire at the opposing political party.  This weeks 'breaking news' will be next weeks bird cage liner.

So this morning I finally had enough of the posturing, political points gathering and useless rhetoric.  I found an alternative to the insanity.

Rocky and Bullwinkle

Remember that TV cartoon show from the early 60's?  It featured a moose and a flying squirrel and was full of silly puns and satire and was just plain funny.  My Dad loved it.  The jokes appealed to his wry sense of humor.  My favorite part is the 'Fractured Fairy Tales.'

The news is no longer news.  It is propaganda.  At least Bullwinkle and company don't make my blood pressure rise.  They make me laugh.  We need as much laughter as we can manage these days.

12 comments:

  1. I get most of my news from the internet anymore, most of that from links by fellow bloggers. What little TV news I do watch, other than the local weather, is FOX or CBN. Bullwinkle beats them all, though! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorges...The way I see it, Rocky and Bullwinkle make better sense than Congress. :)

      Delete
  2. I think you are showing wisdom. You can write a book -- Long Life Through Rocky and Bullwinkle. The world needs this. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Loyd. Love the book idea! The world sure needs something besides scrapping politicians. :)

      Delete
  3. I have grown tired of this also. I read through Google News for the lies, then Fox News Channel for truths. Bottom line its all the same. BUT Mr Trump is making waves and that does not sit well with the LEFT and half of the others.

    My kids got me a Three Stooges DVD pack. 40 yrs of shows. I love my Hogans Hero's, McKale's Navy. The grand days of programing.I love the old westerns too. John Wayne, Aubry Murphy etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob...I am just tired of it all. Politicians are so busy throwing rocks at each other that nothing gets done. I will take Rocky and Bullwinkle (or maybe the Muppets) any day of the week.

      Delete
  4. I like your idea. I too, am getting sick of the news. I like to maintain my "happy place" too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina...Never in my 72 years have I seen such hate on public display. The civil rights protests and marches of the 60's were child's play compared to what is going on now. I can't change it, so I find myself just scanning headlines before retreating to my 'happy place' of the day.

      Delete
  5. If you remember Moose and Squirrel you likely remember Crusader Rabbit also by Jay Ward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BW...I missed Crusader Rabbit. He was in the 1950's and my family didn't have a TV until the early 60's. I Googled him and he looks like something that would appeal to my sense of humor. I'll have to dig around on the webz and see if I can find some episodes.

      Delete
  6. Vicki,
    Last week, I gave up, too. I found other things to watch. Happy things like where the cowboys and Indians are trying to massacre each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda...I wouldn't mind so much if the members of Congress were doing what they were elected to do. But so much of what is called news is just folks sniping at one political party or the other. They can do it without me. I will watch Bullwinkle or Muppets or movies or Antiques Roadshow, etc. Anything except what passes for news these days!

      Delete