Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Still Stacking

Some number of years ago when I retired, there were those who said I would be bored. They were wrong. These days sometimes don't seem to have enough hours in them to do everything I want to do. I suppose it might help if I was able to move faster than a herd of turtles. :)

I have been working on sorting out my dehydrated foods to see what I have enough of and what I need to do. And because storage space is at a premium, I am turning some of it into powders. There is a small mountain of bags of dehydrated food in the middle of my kitchen table that I will run through my coffee grinder tomorrow.

My youngest son knows I like to make a pot of ham and beans using ham bones, so he brought me the one from his Easter dinner that still had quite a bit of meat left on it. I cooked that along with the one I had left, added carrots, celery and onion to make 13 quarts of ham and beans. Normally I would can that, but until I can lay my hands on more lids and jars, the freezer was the best choice.

Meat prices are going up, so I have been buying more than usual lately. Nine pounds of chicken breast went into the freezer. I ordered a turkey on this last grocery order. The delivery guy who shops for my groceries knows that I can lots of meat so he always gets me the largest turkey he can find. This one was over 18 lbs. It wouldn't fit in the space left in the freezer. So today I slow roasted it all day and took the meat off the bones. In the morning I will cut it into bite size pieces and that way the meat will fit. No complaining here. I am thankful that over time I have been able to fill my smaller chest freezer to the top.

Anyone living in or near a city might do well to get ready for more unrest. The protesters are daily marching at the courthouse in Minneapolis where the Floyd trial is in session. There have been well publicized threats and promises of violence should the verdict not be what they want.

And yesterday there was an officer involved shooting in a suburb just north of the City. I will not comment on the right or wrong of it because I don't know for sure what happened. But it was enough to bring out those who first tried to take over the local police station and when that failed, moved on to a local shopping center, breaking windows and looting businesses. The last report I heard was that the governor has called in law enforcement from all over our state as well as the National Guard. This will not end well.

Seems like every day the crazy gets worse. If we are not ready to feed and protect our families, now might be the time to take care of that.

Pray and prepare, my friends. Pray and prepare.

18 comments:

  1. Facebook removed my comments that the rioting would stop when the police began shooting to kill. I guess my views don't fit their "community standards" where police are not supposed to defend the lives and property of the law-abiding citizenry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno, Gorges...Seems logical to me. I'm kinda wondering why the looting of several stores, breaking lots of windows and setting a fire in the Dollar Tree resulted in only two arrests.

      Delete
    2. Now Vicki, you know as well as I do why rioting never results in ant significant arrests....😉

      Delete
    3. Yep, we know, LTM... and so does everyone else. And yet they will go to the ends of the earth to track down anyone who might possibly have attended a rally on Jan. 6.

      Delete
    4. I made the mistake of describing, on a work chat site, how "BLM" marched through our town, breaking windows and stealing (go figure) cell phones and Nikes. They came through for act 2 the next night but found the business owners sitting in lawn chairs in front of their stores, shotguns laying across their laps. There was no further damage or looting. Funny how everything changes when the targeted group pushes back. I was lambasted by my fellow team members for stating "my opinion." This was not opinion. This was a relating of FACTS. Still I was forced to remove my post, being told it was "inflammatory." ...And people marching through your town destroying everything in their path isn't inflammatory?..."

      Delete
    5. Pete...I am not real sure how we got to the place where looting and burning and all sorts of violence is to be tolerated, but I suspect the brainwashing by the left has had a good deal to do with it. I remember that during the LA riots some years back, the businesses that were left alone were those where the owners and their friends were stationed on the rooftops, rifles in hand. You probably saw the meme over on "Gorges' Grouse" a few days ago that was a picture of the Founding Fathers with the caption, "We would be stacking the traitors like firewood by now." Sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

      Delete
  2. Vicki~ I found this at another site. They are coming after the future while cities burn.
    https://voxday.blogspot.com/2021/04/mailvox-why-you-cant-buy-houses.html

    Red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't say that I'm surprised, Red...I have been told my area is a seller's market and this might be the reason. Those in power will stop at absolutely nothing to enslave us. 'By whatever means necessary.'

      Delete
  3. If there is a Dollar General near you, check there for lids and jars. They carry Golden Harvest brand. I have had good luck with them. They had Sure Jell too. Prices were very reasonable. I think the same as last year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara...for the reminder to check out Dollar General. There is one close by and I will give them a call to see what they have in stock. I am out of Sure Jell as well so it is good to know they carry it. Who knows - maybe I will get lucky and find some supplies!

      Delete
  4. Vicki, I am with you on doing whatever we can do for whatever comes our way. Gardening season will begin very soon and preserving the harvest will come next. Buying a few extra groceries each week will help as well. Prices are rising so being able to acquire things at today's prices may afford us a considerable savings. It gives one a more secure feeling too. Take good care...CW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW...There is so much going on around us now that it is hard to keep track of it all. Sadly, none of it is good. The more we can do now while we still can, the better off our families will be. At this point, prepping and praying are our best shots. Take good care.

      Delete
  5. Hello Vicki....Just checking in to see that you and your family are alright...some really bad things happening tonight in Minneapolis...Praying for all of you, praying for strength and safety! I am so sorry that your city is suffering thru these Marxist hoodlums!!! Please take care...stay safe, stay locked and loaded if you need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi lynney62...Your concern and prayers are so very much appreciated. Thankfully, my family isn't close to the riots. That is happening just north of the City and most of us live south and southwest. My community is still quiet and peaceful. I will never understand why some think it is a good idea to wreck their own neighborhoods. I have been watching some of the live reports coming from that area and there appears to be a huge number of law enforcement and National Guard there. We know that this kind of thing can happen anywhere, so we are as ready as we can be.

      Delete
  6. As always, Vicki, you are an inspiration! We had another storm related issue here which took a couple of weeks to resolve. It threw me off my food storage game, but I need to get going again. Glad to hear things are calm in your area. Hope that doesn't change! Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Robin...Sorry you were sidelined with storm related problems, but hope things are back to whatever passes as normal in your neck of the woods.

      We were fortunate in that the insanity of last summer's riots as well as the current situation didn't extend this far SW. My heart goes out to those good people who live in those areas. There has to be a special place in Hell for those who think it is OK to loot and burn and ruin the lives of others who live in that war zone. May God help them.

      Delete
  7. Vicki~ I've got more hash brown potatoes, peas, carrots and corn in the dehydrator. The final bit of my Lehman's canned meat order was delivered today. We are planting more carrots and peppers tomorrow. While at the market, the Gentleman behind me was complaining about the Fruit and Veggie department. What was with the lack of certain items he would normally buy. I told him to look up Fed allots ZERO Water for California Farmers. So the lack of California Grown Fruits and Veggies will get worse. It's for the Children and the Drought. I guess letting all that water go into the Ocean is a good idea. *snark* Red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red...Ice Age Farmer posted a video about water in Taiwan being diverted from farmer's fields to the companies making components for Apple and other similar companies. I guess iPhones are more important than food.

      We are on the same page with dehydrating. I have a week to wait for my next grocery order, but already on the list are more hash browns, frozen veggies and fresh potatoes.

      My freezer is full so more food in cans and rice are also on the list as well as other supplies. It just isn't going to get better any time soon. Take good care.

      Delete