Thursday, July 20, 2023

Keeping On

 It is easy, sometimes, to use a setback - no matter what kind - as an excuse to avoid the chores we know need to be done but don't really want to do just now.  I have been guilty of that.  But my lazy days were not during a time of crisis.  If things in our country don't change real soon, that crisis is going to overwhelm us all.

I had a talk with my son today.  He knows that lately, arthritis is kicking my backside pretty hard.  I have had to stop canning because arthritic fingers tend to drop jars full of food and heavy canners.  He is bringing me a few items that will make life a bit easier.  And I had never heard of a battery operated can opener before.  Who knew?

Just because one way of preserving food has become a problem doesn't mean the job can not be done.   I spent some time the past few days, going through the room where I store my food and supplies, to see what I needed to dehydrate.  Turns out the list is fairly long.  My grocery delivery is a week from today and will include several bags of frozen hashbrowns, bags of frozen broccoli and maybe some more whole kernel corn.  Frozen foods are so easy to dehydrate.  Just spread out on trays and dry.

And because we all need a bit of fun now and then, I think I will dehydrate some mini marshmallows.  I had seen a video about that over at 'The Purposeful Pantry.'  There are tons of videos about dehydrating there.  Here is the link.  The Purposeful Pantry - YouTube   The dehydrated mini marshmallows can either be a snack or can be used to top off a mug of hot chocolate.

No matter what our limitations are, there are things we can do to prepare for whatever horror our leaders have planned for us.  Not all of us have homesteads.  Not all of us have space for a garden.  Not everybody can raise cows or goats or chickens.  I admire those who can do these things.

But the rest of us need to know that if we cannot home preserve foods, there is absolutely nothing wrong with hitting the grocery store sales and stocking up that way.  It doesn't matter how the stocking up is accomplished - just that it gets done.  Soon! 

I think we all know by now that when the going gets tough, we are on our own.  Nobody from the government - local or national - will be offering help.  We had better do everything we can to feed ourselves and our families or friends.  

Keep praying.  Keep stacking.  Both are absolutely necessary.


10 comments:

  1. I love reading you're posts. Common sense is not used much these days. There are some good cookie recipes that use dehydrated marshmallows. Smores in a cookie, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon...Thank you. From what I have seen lately, if something doesn't go according to plan, folks sometimes just give up. It doesn't have to be that way. We can just shift gears and find a new work around. My parents and grandparents were really good at that.

      Smores in a cookie? Love it. Will have to find that recipe! And by the way...Don't you think that dehydrating the flavored mini marshmallows might make a really good sweet treat?!

      Delete
  2. Great post. I'm not canning or dehydrating right now. I have those tools but not the energy to use them. But I do watch the sales and keep stacking as best I can.... And btw--- off topic ---- I love my computer until I don't. Was on email earlier when the cursor took on a life of its own. Another thing I will miss when times get 'interesting'. cheering you on. SJ now in California PS -- puppygirl and I are managing just fine in the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ...We do what we can with what we have to work with. I am happy for those who are able to do all the preparedness stuff without having to deal with health issues. But I want folks to know that it is OK to do what we need to do in whatever way we can. The end goal is to be ready for anything - not how we get ready.

      But you already know that! :)

      Glad you and pup are doing alright in the heat Cali is having just now. I doubt we Minnesotans would fare so well. :)

      Delete
  3. I feel for you, Vicki! I share your pain as well!!! I'm behind you by some years but can tell you that those years are catching up with me. The weird weather this spring and summer reduced my vegetable garden to a weed farm. I got some tomatoes and corn; that was it. The fruit trees did well though, so that's something. I stood there in the middle of the garden patch this morning and lamented to myself that I just can't stay ahead of the weeds, the gophers, the ground squirrels, the rabbits, and the sun like I could just a few years back. We gotta do what we gotta do though, 'cuz as you said, "d'gubmeyent" isn't gonna bail US out. It's too interested in Ukraine and those MILLIONS of illegals pouring in! In short, or "government" is the ROOT of the problem!

    If you've canned, dehydrated, and frozen everything your weather-forecasting hands can handle, maybe it's time to look at your "dry stores;" the beans, rice, pasta, and such. Those last forever and are almost ZERO labor to put up!

    I tried running some marshmallows through my freeze drier. 'Came out crunchy and good. I'm pretty sure that's what they do to the marshmallows they put into Lucky Charms cereal! I also ran some frozen mixed veggies through that thing and found the end product to be delicious as a snack! Surprisingly sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete...I think the hardest thing for me is admitting that I can no longer work as hard as I once did. That, and having to ask my kids for help occasionally.

      As someone who in years past raised a large garden to feed my fairly large family, I understand the pain of not being able to keep up with it all. Back then, it was deer that regularly messed up my garden. You seem to have had everything working against you this year!

      I would love to have a freeze dryer, but even if it was within my budget, I seriously doubt where I could fit one into my small apartment. So I use dehydrators. I still have a few things like shredded hash browns, and broccoli and green beans to do in order to have enough. I have been buying things like rice and pasta and sugar and flour among other dry foods. But is there ever a time when we have enough?

      I am definitely trying dehydrating the mini marshmallows. If for no other reason than my need for sweets. :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah; the freeze-drier is a "nice to have," I'll admit. I found mine used on Craigslist for a FRACTION of its price new. I would have NEVER been able to afford a new one!!!

      How much is "enough?" That's the prepper's ultimate dilemma! I had a "YEESH!" moment just this morning. There was a hole in my coffee cabinet in the kitchen. "Should I buy more? 'Better check the barn." I went to the barn and there was a few extra cans of coffee in there, so I brought them up and refilled the coffee cabinet. No need to buy more right now. While out refilling the water jugs at the local ice house, I said "What the hell..." and picked up a couple more cans of coffee at the Wally World next door. I got home and put them in the barn. I went back up to the house and found FOUR MORE CANS of coffee stashed on a shelf in the garage! YEESH! Two upsides to this though; one, I paid for next year's coffee at today's prices. Two; I'll be WIDE AWAKE for the RAPTURE!!!

      Delete
    3. My Friend...You described precisely what happens here. I get to thinking I might have enough of something, but then buy more anyway. Today's prices are high, but tomorrow's prices promise to be worse.

      But it was the coffee that got me to giggling like a schoolgirl. :)

      The room that was once a bedroom is now a storage room. Back in a corner is a small dresser and on top is a small bookshelf full of salt and jars of molasses and cans of evaporated milk, etc.

      On top of the bookshelf are stacked a dozen cans of coffee. One of my daughters saw the coffee and wanted to know if I thought I had enough. What she didn't see were the three cans on top of the fridge, hiding behind some cookie jars. Or the four cans stuffed into one of those plastic milk cases.

      She did, however, find the bankers box filled with jars of instant coffee - my emergency stash. :)

      In my family, coffee is considered the elixir of life! My oldest son, who lived in the apartment next door, once walked into my apartment, coffee mug in hand, saying, "Just give me coffee and nobody gets hurt." Another time he walked in, headed straight to my coffee pot, filled his mug and then back out the door, without a word. I dearly loved his sense of humor.

      Yep. I am guessing both of us will greet the rapture all wide awake!!

      Delete
  4. Slow and steady wins the race, imo. And coffee is definitely it's own food group - both regular and instant. I'm very happy I like the stuff in the 'cans' and don't need it fresh groung - just want it in quantity. Stay safe everyone. SJ now in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ...Yes - coffee is one of the necessities of life - at least in my life. My oldest son used to say that if he cut himself, he was sure to bleed coffee. :) Wouldn't have surprised me. :) It is the one thing I never want to run out of!

      Delete