Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Is anyone else...

 feeling like they are on sensory overload?

Everywhere I look I see stories and articles and videos about the mess we are in and how the next world war is likely just around the corner.  Some of it is true and some is not.  Some of it keeps us informed and some is just click bait.  But it seems like no matter where I look, it is getting more difficult to find anything good in our situation.  And I know that I am guilty of posting similar things.

My morning routine is to pour a mug of coffee and check the online news to see what new horrors are being thrust upon us.  And lately I find myself spending more time online than I should.  I don't know about anyone else, but a steady diet of doom and gloom can send a person down the slippery slope into depression.  And I haven't got enough time left to waste on 'poor, pitiful me' thoughts.

Everyone has things in their lives that bring them joy.  One of my daughters and her man just spent several days at their cabin on a lakeshore.  Disconnect from work.  No Wifi.  No cell phone service.  Drive into town to use both.  Play with their new puppy.  Good for them!

My son and his wife just spent a few days in Arizona.  Farmed the one son still at home and the dog out to Grandpa and Grandma.  Just the two of them.  They FaceTimed me to show me the beautiful red rock cliffs of Sedona.  Both work so hard and a mini vacation was needed.  And my heart is happy to see this couple who have been married well over 20 years and who still like each other!

Me...I need to stay in touch with what is happening in our world for it could easily have an effect on us all.  But at the same time I need to stay sane enough to make good decisions should the time come when those decisions could mean life and death.  

I once had an acquaintance who remarked when I said I was too busy for whatever event she had planned, "How can you be busy.  You're retired!"  Honey, get comfortable.   I'll tell you!

I will be canning more chicken and hamburger next week.  I am in the process of sewing little pieces of fabric together to make quilts.  (Snow flurries are predicted for this weekend.  Good grief!)  I am writing down family stories - mostly about my parents and grandparents - because my kids have shown an interest in them and maybe some day so will my grands.  There is a boat load of information being entered into my genealogy program so my family will know where they came from.

Staying busy works to keep me relatively happy.  Whatever works to keep you as sane as possible is a good thing.  These days when we have a truck load of lies, deceit and just plain bs headed our way on a daily basis, we need to deal with it while still keeping from losing our minds.

I find that prayer works the best of all.

6 comments:

  1. I think the overload is a part of the plan, Vicki. "Keep 'em so immersed and their heads so spun up, they won't know WHAT move to make." Indeed, it's easy for me to get sucked into that maelstrom, given that I have to spend my day in front of a computer for work. Discipline is required here. I peruse the "news" a few times a day to see which direction the flaming arrows are coming from, and then peel off and do something else. Otherwise I'm the ground-feeding bird who can't see the crouching cat approaching...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete...I'm pretty sure the plan is to keep us so off balance that the evil ones can just sneak in whatever they want and we won't notice. But then, I get the impression that the elite consider the rest of us as dumb as a box of rocks. And they are no longer sneaking - they are out in the open now with what they have planned for us.

      I just found myself too involved in what is happening and forgot I still have a life to live. Guess the trick is to do both to the best of my ability. Took my kids mini vacations and their delight in them to remind me of what is just as important as staying informed.

      Delete
  2. And it is getting harder to know what is real news any more, with the big push to Artificial Intelligence.
    I read maybe two or three things and the most and then move on to other things.
    When I watch the local news, I mute the TV on anything that is not truly local.
    You are very well prepared, Vicki. There is probably not a whole lot you need to be aware of. :)

    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LindaG...Part of the reason, in my opinion, that it is harder to know what is real is because those in power wouldn't know the truth if it bit them on the bum. I'm not sure I can count high enough to list all the lies from our top leaders that have been told in recent years. I guess I am looking for compromise between keeping up with current events and living my best life. If I just concentrate on the bad stuff, I will miss lots of good stuff - especially family. We sure do live in interesting times. :)
      Take care and may God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  3. I am right with you, Vicki, I spend too much time in front of the idiot computer too. And wasting too much time on the capering clowns and gibbons that vie for our attention. We ARE in an existential crisis - those guys are the LAST ones to waste time with. The idea for me is to sort the wheat from the chaff, find out who's who - and turn the idiots off. Most of the platforms have screening features that allow you to block content from such morons and I use them extensively. They are a time suck.

    You make sure you get outside and/or have fun once in awhile, and I shall take your reminder to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen...I'm afraid I might have become more cynical than you are. I'm not sure anymore if there is any wheat. Seems like mostly chaff in DC lately. And news channels are even worse. Can't wait to see how they link the shooting in Maine to our former president! You know that's coming.

      I still check the latest events, but with considerable skepticism. And although physical problems prevent me from enjoying the outdoors, fun seems to come to me. This week it was my adult son showing up with three kinds of ice cream treats and a deli chicken dinner!! But the best part was conversations with a couple of my kids this week. Life is good.

      Delete