Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Stuff

I am not one of those people to whom shopping is a recreational activity.  When I still could get out and about, I would make a list, go to the store and buy what was on that list, get out and go home.  And I am not an impulse buyer.  I generally would look online and compare products and prices before buying anything major.

Now either my kids shop for me or I can order what I want online.  And the same applies.  I check it out before I order it.

Even with careful comparison shopping, somehow I find myself knee deep in stuff.  There are tubs of stuff on the floor of my closet.  There are boxes of stuff on the deep shelf above.  There are clothes on hangars that I haven't worn for maybe 10 years or more.  I have two night stands with drawers and shelves full of stuff.  I have a bookcase full of stuff.  And I have no earthly idea how I managed to accumulate so dratted much stuff.

I have begun the task of sorting and tossing.  Some stuff is in good shape and will go to Goodwill.  Some I will keep - but not that much.  The rest is destined for the dumpster.

It is amazing what I have found so far.  I have no idea why I have a shoebox full of floppy discs.  It has been years since I had a computer that would read them.  I know there is nothing important on them.  Out they go.

I have the dress I wore to my oldest daughter's wedding over 20 years ago.  I couldn't get into that dress even using a shoehorn.  Goodwill can make use of it.

I will keep the photos and the box of picture frames.  The old letters and printed genealogy material will stay, too.  And the tools.  But I think the dumpster might just be overflowing by the time I am finished.

There is just way too much stuff!

10 comments:

  1. A floppy disk! LOL you should send me one so I can show my son!
    It sure feels good to sort and keep or toss though doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Jenn...the dumpster has already claimed the floppies. It is amazing how quickly we move ahead with changes in the computer world. It is nice to see the junk go away. I like clean and neat. :)

      Delete
  2. May I suggest the Salvation Army, rather than Goodwill?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorges...Goodwill is the only thrift shop in my area. Since it is one of my kids who will have to truck the stuff, I can't ask them to drive many miles more. The Goodwill store here is pretty reasonable in their prices. I have shopped there and been satisfied with what I bought. I know nothing about their politics.

      Delete
  3. Stuff multiplies in the dark??
    Last year I was tired of over stuffed drawers in my chest of drawers and did a major purge. Sure felt good. I need to do my closet at some point... not today though. I still have 'work' clothes and I haven't worked in almost 8 years!!
    Cheers, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, SJ...I swear that stuff in my closet has been breeding like bunnies. I surely couldn't have put it all in there. :)

      There is a method to my madness. I want to get everything in order before winter sets in. I will be the first to admit that I am not the neatest person in the universe, but clutter bothers me, even if it is hidden behind a closet door. So once I have things in order, I plan to spend my winter sewing and quilting and crocheting and reading. Without the guilt of knowing my closet resembles Fibber Magee's. (Remember that old radio show?)

      Delete
  4. I just tossed a box of those floppy disks last year I think. Ha! It's funny how something can get stored and forgotten about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina...I am so glad to know that I am not alone in saving useless stuff! :)

      I find it interesting how our priorities change over time. Stuff I thought I could not live without now makes me wonder what on earth I was thinking when I saved it.

      Delete
  5. It's not that my priorities change. it is the fact that I store something I need. Then, time marches on. All of a sudden that item is no longer something I need. So, it lingers if I don't look for it or see it.

    I just got rid of my slinky and lacey under and negligees that certainly do not fit me. Yeah, even a shoehorn would not help. I had to move the dresser several years ago and cleaned out the drawers for ease of moving. Then, I had to go to location to place the dresser. Guys do not wait around to let things get situated. Then, that bag sat and something else sat on it.

    Last week, that whole trash bag went after I looked through it. At the same time, I gave away to the person helping me a box of craft supplies. She was thrilled to get perfectly good supplies. I will never, ever teach that craft camp again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda...I think what you describe is exactly what happens. We store what we think we will need and then after time passes, we don't need it any more. My late husband was big on saving stuff 'because it might come in handy someday.' Then when the day came where something was needed, he either forgot where he put it or it was buried so deep he never did find it. I am trying to avoid that and getting rid of the clutter gives me more storage space for stuff that matters.

      Delete