Thursday, February 7, 2019

Some Days are a Delight

So this morning my phone rang.  It was Oldest Son.  He has a key to my apartment.  He uses it every couple of days to check up on Mom.  He thinks I don't know he checks up on Mom, but I know.  And I feel more secure because of it.

Anyway, when Duane called, he said he had used his key earlier.  I was back in the bathroom, using the nebulizer which is noisy, so I didn't see or hear him.  He told me to check my refrigerator.  Seems he had been grocery shopping.  The store where he shops has an ongoing deal in the meat department.  The package a variety of meats in separate packages, selling them for $5 each - buy 4 and get 1 free.  He left half a dozen sausages in my fridge, bought using the store's sale.  I cooked three for breakfast and still have enough for another meal.  It was a nice surprise and the sausages are really good.

When I checked the weather report this morning, I found more snow headed our way.  Some time back David asked me to pray for snow.  His job in the winter involves managing snow removal crews and earlier, we had very little snow.  That has changed.  We have had snow nearly every other day lately.  There is more snow forecast, along with wind and plummeting temps.  So I emailed David, "Can I stop praying for snow now?"

Shortly after sending the email, my phone rang.  The first thing I heard was, "Don't you dare stop praying for snow!  This week alone has paid for Jacob's hockey."

I wouldn't want David's job.  When there is snow, he gets very little sleep.  Customers call him all hours of the day and night.  They tell him there is snow on their sidewalks.  He says that's because it is snowing.  His crews go in and remove the snow when the snow stops.  And when the snow stops, customers call 5 minutes later, complaining that nobody is at their place of business to plow yet.  David is convinced that common sense has left the building.

Anyway, it seems I need to continue to pray for snow for the sake of my son and his family.  :)

On another topic, Fiona over at 'Confessions of a Crazed Cattlewoman' has a post today dealing with the insanity of late term abortion.  She talks about it much better than I could and I would wish that you all would read what she has to say.

Me...I'm waiting for the next round of snow to begin.  In the meantime, I think my green fuzzy blanket may get a workout, as will my Kindle.  It is that kind of day.  Or maybe another surprise will come calling.  Who knows!  Even the life of a chubby grandma can occasionally be an adventure.  :)

10 comments:

  1. Glad you're having a good day. Rainy here, thank goodness; I hate snow. What does your son do in summer - lawn or tree work and such?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorges...He is in sales - obtaining new contracts and renewing existing contracts. He oversees lawn care and landscaping crews in the summer - fall clean-up - snow removal in the winter. He inspects properties to make sure they are being properly cared for. He troubleshoots over all. He is one busy boy and I get tired just listening to him tell about his day. :)

      Delete
  2. The small surprises in life are the best! When someone surprises you with a small gift it is a way of saying that they care about you and love you a lot! You are one loved mom and grandma for sure!

    I also read Fiona's post today and found it to be extremely well written. Isn't it a shame that so many young women are being brainwashed by the fanatical and extremist views being promoted in these dark times...pure evil! Their selfishness will keep them from experiencing the joy a child can bring into their life. How very sad!

    All I can say is, we must not go over the edge of the cliff with the rest of humanity...CW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW...The smallest of surprises can surely brighten a day!! I am truly blessed.

      I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the evil described in Fiona's post. Personally, I am sure I could never live with the guilt of destroying the life of a child, born or unborn. Sometimes I think we have already jumped off the cliff and are headed toward the rocks below. This has to stop.

      Delete
  3. It is cold here and it's supposed to stay cold for at least the next week. It was -7 C when I got up this morning at 630am. Needless to say, MrDog's morning walk was just the essentials and then we turned for home. I'm tucked under my fleece and he's snoring next to me on the loveseat. Enjoy your kindle and perhaps a cup of cocoa.
    Cheers, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ...It is 17 degrees above zero here this afternoon, but more cold and more snow are headed our way. It just seemed like a good day for putzing about.

      I swear, Murphy has moved in and made himself comfortable. Duane's apartment is over 70 degrees while mine, located at the very end of the building's ductwork, was 63 this morning. The landlord had Duane cover all but one of his floor vents to coax the heat to me. It is now 66. Cooler than I like, but bearable. Still too cold and snowy for the window guys. And this morning, the florescent lights in my kitchen quit working. The handyman changed bulbs, but they need another part.

      I am headed back to my recliner, green fuzzy blanket in hand and my Kindle. I may stay there until tomorrow. I just have to laugh at the craziness of it all. What are you gonna do, but laugh. :)

      Delete
  4. We're waiting for the next round of snow this weekend, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One Family...It seems like a never ending cycle here lately. Cold, snow, a warmer day, then ice, more snow, more cold, etc. I had posted about emailing David, asking if I could stop praying for snow now. After I posted, I checked my email. Keeping in mind that David's income comes from dealing with snow, he had emailed me back and said:
      "No!!! My kids are expensive!"
      I just had to laugh.

      Delete
  5. What a strange two weeks we have had right.?? School started on time but by 11 it was closed. Phone call 2 hrs ago saying school was two hours late. Tomorrow, I told my wife and daughter that school would be closed. How do you know?? easy when MPLS closes its a done deal. 30 min ago they cancelled school. Common sense is a dying breed in America

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob...Doesn't seem to be much common sense left anywhere these days. There is no point in having kids go to school in bad weather only to send them home again. It is a bit nippy again this morning. Hope you are staying war,

      Delete