Friday, September 13, 2019

Going AWOL Again

Yesterday 25 lbs. of bacon arrived in my kitchen via my son whom I often refer to as my pack mule for all the supplies he has huffed up the stairs to my apartment over the years.  After we appropriated several slices each for further use, I sliced the rest into one inch pieces, filling roughly six one-gallon bags plus about 3/4 of a quart bag to be used when canning baked beans. 

So I am off to the kitchen to start browning the bacon, packing it into half pint jars and running it through the pressure canner.  I have no clue how long this process will take, but I hope to resurface by Monday.

Have yourselves a lovely weekend.

19 comments:

  1. Sounds like about 50 1/2 pint jars to me, maybe more depending on how you pack them. Life can't get too bad as long as we have bacon.

    Just be careful not to get splattered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer...Canning will commence tomorrow and because we saved some slices out for breakfasts and then there was the occasional quality control taste testing, 50 jars are unlikely. But I will be really happy with however many I get. After all - it is bacon. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It does, Gorges...All the way down the hall, from what I have been told today!

      Delete
  3. 25 lbs?? You should do Youtube Videos..It would blow the minds of those who don't have a clue on stocking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob...No videos for me. Sometimes I can't even come up with a decent blog post. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh YUM!!! If it were my house, all three cats would be waiting for their share. Red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red...There was a time when I had three cats and two small dogs and everybody would be lined up, looking at the floor, waiting for something good to drop. :)

      Delete
  5. Good luck and a blessed weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LindaG...Hope your weekend is a good one.

      Delete
  6. You are a great inspiration! Let us all know how it turns out. Take care and enjoy, CW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CW...I am moving at my usual turtle's pace, but I'll let you know how it all works out. :)

      Delete
  7. The smell of bacon wafting all over the apartment building must drive people to purchase bacon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda...Either that or drive them a bit crazy. :)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Me, too, BW...Probably would have another full jar or two if I hadn't done quite so much quality control taste testing. :)

      Delete