Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Caroline and Alberta

For a while now I have been noticing that people in general are becoming cranky.  And rude.  And sometimes, downright mean.  Not everyone, but it is out there.  I no longer go out among the population.  But I live next door to a bar.  Used to be this neighborhood bar was kind of like the TV show "Cheers."  It was a rare Saturday night that I would hear a fight in the alley between my building and the bar.  I mostly heard folks talking and laughing and enjoying an adult beverage and the company of friends.  But now I can pretty much count on a ruckus in the street on a weekend.

Some of those who come into my apartment tell me about ornery people they have run across out in the world.  Say it is becoming more common.  Didn't used to be that way.

Enter Caroline and Alberta.

Caroline is a nurse.  A darned good one.  She has been taking care of my legs for several years.  She isn't just a nurse.  She is a friend.

Some time back her sister had a garage sale where she sold her excess fabric and lots of other stuff.  Caroline knows I sew.  She brought me three pieces of plaid flannel, each at least 3 yards long, plus a couple of other cotton pieces about the same size.

Alberta was my next-door neighbor in my building a few years ago.  She was a hard-working farm wife until her husband died.  She would stop in every now and then - not really often.  Or we would talk if we saw each other outside.  Under her rough exterior was a sense of humor and a heart of gold.

She showed up one afternoon, carrying a box about the size of a banker's box, filled with large denim yardages.  She knew I sewed, and she thought I might like to have the denim for a project.

Her remark as she sat by my kitchen table was, "I wanted to see you and I wanted you to have this fabric before I die."  

And because we had joked with each other in the past, I said, "Oh, Alberta.  You are too ornery to die any time soon."

Less than a week later she was carried down the stairs in a body bag.  I still miss her.

This past week while digging through some boxes I have stored, looking for I can't remember what, I ran across the flannel and denim.  Both are now cut into 7 inch squares.  I am in the process of sewing everything together to make two lightweight rag quilts.  I will post a picture when they are finished - maybe in a week or a little more.

And when I rest under the quilts, they will remind me of my nurse who is also my friend and of a friend since departed who had a rough exterior and a kind heart.

Would that people stop fussing at each other and go back to a world of friendships and kindness.  To a world where being offended wasn't like an occupation.  And a world where "woke" meant literally "not asleep."

Please.

14 comments:

  1. It's more difficult being a Christian with all the evil thrown at us every day. I understand the anger, and even slipping into rudeness out of frustration, but saying something nice, or smiling, usually causes the same in return. The small act can give a boost to someone having a bad day, or is dealing with an overwhelming life event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess...Sometimes I think that many have forgotten how to just be nice. It is OK to be angry at the injustices in the world, at the stupidity of those who think they need to control us, and at those who think it is alright to hurt others. The trick is to not take it out on those around us. Many seem to have forgotten that part.

      Delete
  2. Well said, my friend.
    SJ now in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, SJ. I try. Don't always succeed, but I try. :)

      Delete
  3. Vicki, whether people want to acknowledge it or not, they're manning the pumps on the Titanic. They know in their GUTS they'll never be able to stay ahead of the flooding, and yet they keep trying. The frustration is manifesting itself as the anger and such we're seeing now. At some point you just need to say "Screw it!" and take a seat in a lifeboat... while there are STILL SEATS in the lifeboats... That's roughly where the likes of you and me are...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete...The ones I don't understand are the ones who are completely clueless as to what is happening all around them. The ship is sinking, and they want to know when the buffet will be open.

      Some in my parent's generation clung to the notion that "if we don't talk about it, it will go away." My generation had some of that as well. But now this seems to have morphed into totally ignoring what is happening. The fable of the grasshopper and the ant comes to mind.

      I have come to the place where I no longer try to convince others to prepare. I am tired. I have all I can handle taking care of mine. Here I am preaching to the choir, thankfully. And I am really tired of those who find their fun in mocking those of us who care enough to at least try.

      Soapbox back into the corner. Take care, my friend. God bless.

      Delete
  4. I agree, but every now and then I do see a glimmer of kindness. At Aldi today, as we got out of our truck, we realized neither of us had a quarter for the cart. A lady overheard us and insisted on giving us a quarter. We thanked her and she asked us to pay it forward.

    After we finished shopping, we put our groceries in the truck and I started back to the cart return. I heard another lady calling to me from her van. She wanted to give me a quarter for my cart. Happily, I gave her the cart, declining the quarter. We can all get along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sbrgirl...Every now and then we see a glimmer of how things were. Thankfully, there are still good, kind people and it is a joy when we encounter them. You are right. We can all get along. Sometimes we have to work at it, but it is possible.

      Delete
    2. (Don McCollor) A couple years ago I had inched to the head of the checkout line at Walmart with a cart full of misc. stuff. Behind me was an older lady with just a few groceries in her cart. Told her that I would probably take a while, so just go ahead of me. Was embarrassed by how many times she thanked me. I felt real good walking out, though

      Delete
    3. Don...What you did used to be commonplace. Doesn't seem like it is much any more. And that is sad. I would think that people would go for that warm feeling of being kind as opposed the feelings of anger and discontent of being rude or unkind. Good to know there are still good folks among us!

      Delete
  5. Amen.
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sadly, kindness is a rapidly diminishing trait in our society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there are still kind, good people, but it seems they are few and far between. Pray that changes.

      Delete