Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Looking Back...

One of my granddaughters gave each of her parents a book.  The pages are filled with questions ranging from birth to the present.  Then she decided that Grandma needed a book to fill out as well.  Her reasoning, "I know about my ancestors.  But I don't know hardly anything about your life."

So, I am slowly filling in the blanks.  And the process brings back some long-forgotten memories.  Not sure if that is a good thing always.

While working on the part dealing with childhood, it occurred to me that kid's lives years ago would cause apoplexy in some today.

(Apoplexy, informal definition:  incapacity or speechlessness caused by extreme anger)

Sports drinks came from the garden hose.  Drinking water came from a tap in the kitchen.  We would have considered it a foolish waste of money to buy bottles of drinking water.  

My kids rode in the back of my pickup truck.  Side note:  We once chased a black bear down the road by our rural house, until he veered off into the woods.  Kids waving and shouting like mad, enjoying the sight.

Some of my kids were involved in sports.  When they lost a game, they tried harder to improve.  They were not awarded a 'participation trophy.'  Another side note:  My grandson's team lost in a tournament.  Grandson asked his coach where his trophy was.  Coach replied that if he wanted a trophy, he had better earn it. A rare coach these days.

"Play Dates."  Really?  Scheduled play was unheard of.  We went outside.  In the summer there was bike riding and sidewalk roller skating (remember skate keys on a shoelace hanging around every kid's neck?) and exploring any grove of trees within a couple of miles from home.  And building forts in among the trees.

Winter was the time for us in the North to get our snow sleds out of the garage and slide down the hill at the end of the block, watching for street traffic.  And when the skating rink at the elementary school was frozen over and the little warming house with the small wood stove inside blazing away, we pretended to be Olympic speed skaters or figure skaters.  Except for me.  Never did learn to skate backwards.  :)

Moving to the country brought new adventures.  Wading in the creek running at the end of the bean field.  Catching frogs and crawdads.  Feasting on wild plums and raspberries.

Walking the mile and a half to school, spring and fall.  Couldn't claim both ways were uphill and snowdrift deep.  My kids knew the roads.  And the hills.  And that plows cleared off the snow.  :)

The fun of me and my cousins being dragged behind a car by my Dad and Uncle.  They hooked up with sturdy ropes, an old car hood, smooth side down, to Dad's car, set us kids on blankets in the hood and away we went, sliding along on the frozen lake.  

Seems to me that today's kids are growing up without knowing what real freedom is.  My generation and that of my kids had rules.  "Come in when the streetlights come on."  "It is your turn to wash the supper dishes."  "Stop teasing your sister."  

But we didn't have someone watching our every move or planning our play.  We learned to think for ourselves and to make hopefully, good decisions.  I doubt today's kids will learn what real freedom is.

Judging by current events, I'm not so sure any of us will keep the freedoms we now enjoy.

As always - keep stacking it to the rafters.  Keep praying.  We need all the help we can get.

10 comments:

  1. I have some of those memories, too. Like laying on the rear deck (I forget what it was called), so I could look at the sky while one of my parents drove.
    Good times.
    Thanks, Vicki. You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LindaG...If it was a pickup, it was the bed. Car...I don't know. Remembering so I can share with my granddaughter is just all sorts of fun. You and yours stay safe and may God bless!

      Delete
  2. My aunt got one of those books and really went to town on it. Ended up pulling the binding off, adding a lot of pages including photos and then rebinding.

    My memories -- Mom on a rainy day. We had building forts all morning and came in hungry and wet. We asked for lunch - she popped open Campbell's chicken noodle soup, filled a thermos and gave us PB& J sandwiches and sent us back outside with our picnic. No coats.

    Dad = traveling in his big Ford station wagon and climbing over the seats throughout the trip. No seat belts, certainly no car seats.
    SJ. now in California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ...Yep. Can of Campbells soup and a sandwich. Then back at the play! Except until we moved to the country. Then work took over, but that is OK. I learned much that has stood me well over the years.

      Side note: While living in town, the rule was that when Larry's Mom called him in for supper, we all went home for supper. Larry's Mom had one of those voices that could probably be heard halfway across town. :)

      Ah, yes. Ford station wagons. Four kids in the back. I hear giggling. Not good with four kids. Turns out the youngest was dropping tennis shoes out the back window that was open a couple of inches for air. The giggles came when the shoes bounced along the highway.

      Ah...the memories.

      Delete
  3. "But we didn't have someone watching our every move or planning our play."

    ...That was only partially true, Vicki. No matter WHAT we were doing, SOMEONE in the neighborhood was WATCHING! Case in point; the time we thought it would be a GREAT idea to tie a sled to the back of the neighbor "kid's" hotrod, and get towed around the block on the ice-covered road. By the time I had hung on for ONE LAP around the block, my parents were standing in the front yard, having been alerted by a neighbor down the road. THAT'S how it used to be. WE ALL LOOKED OUT FOR EACH OTHER. ...We also figured out who the rats were, and avoided their scrutiny!

    It's utterly SAD that my ADULT KIDS know NOTHING of the America we grew up in!!!

    ...And I STILL consider it a foolish waste of money to buy bottled water!

    God bless, Vicki!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete...You are absolutely right. We all looked out for each other, and the neighborhood parents kept track of us. As a kid, I never understood how my mother could have found out what shenanigans I had been up to before I even got home. When it finally occurred to me which parents were ratting us out, we avoided that yard. :)

      But on the other hand, the parents keeping an eye on us was one reason we could roam the neighborhood, unmolested. For if anyone dared to give us a bad time, at least two 'mama bears' were right there. Nobody dared mess with the mama bears!

      My kids had childhoods much like mine. I don't have a kid under 50. Back then they still had it fairly good as far as being able to play without fear. It is my grands that I fear for, although almost of them are now adults. The great-grands will never have the kind of freedom we had and my heart aches for them.

      Stay safe. God bless you and yours.

      PS...Haven't killed off the aloe vera plant yet. Fingers crossed. :)

      Delete
  4. Vicki, I was an only child with no close neighbor kids. Learned to do things myself (like block and tackle and hydraulic jacks) without other kid power. Also learned to think ahead and not to get into anything I couldn't get out of myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have known others who have grown up in an only child situation. And for the most part, they are sensible, capable people. Perhaps those around us can lead us off in directions that are not the best. Your accomplishments say a lot about your character, especially when you acheived them on your own.

      Delete
  5. I read your blog but do not comment. But, today I will say that it was the best post and comments ever! I am 85 years old and remember those carefree childhood days. Kind of like the Little Rascals, lol. Free range kid, as were my kids. We knew what real freedom was. Kids nowadays think they are smart, but they are not free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recognize your name, Tewshooz. You have commented before - a long time ago. So nice to hear from you!

      We had the best of childhoods, didn't we. It saddens me to know that unless things change drastically, my great-grands will never know what true freedom is. Perhaps if we could get rid of 90% of the stupid rules and regulations designed to control us, and close to 100% of the politicians, the kids might have a fighting chance.

      Take good care.

      Delete