Thursday, June 20, 2024

Time Out and Tired of Politicians

 So, the past week has found me in Blogger time-out more than once.  I was working on my method of putting the various branches of my family tree online without having to pay genealogy websites' monthly fees.  That involves making new blogs off of this one. (These can be seen by clicking on "View my complete profile" on the right side of this page.)  Each page contains one Family Group Sheet for each ancestor.  I have lots of ancestors.  Blogger gets its panties in a twist when I add lots of pages at one time.  So, they slap my hands and set me in a corner until they are over their snit.  Sigh.

So while in time-out, I have been spending time sewing quilts together.  This is Minnesota.  Winters are usually mind numbing cold.  A good supply of blankets and quilts is a good idea.  Our winters often include blizzards.  Blizzards can knock out electricity.  Cold is no fun at all.

Seems like my days are filled with all things preparedness.  I find myself convinced that these efforts are necessary.  I don't know what the future holds, but none of it looks really good.

There is one thing I have all but eliminated from my daily routine.  I have stopped paying attention to the latest "slings and arrows" being thrown around by politicians seeking election or re-election.  I am tired of the foolishness.  I am tired of the stupidity.  And mostly I am tired of both sides thinking that we are so ignorant that we will actually believe the lies.

I might actually listen if the solutions to problems were discussed instead of the personal picadilloes of opponents, real or imagined. I don't care.  What I do care about is the fact that in my last grocery order, I paid $4.99 for one pound of butter.  So it now costs me $1.25 per stick - that's per stick - and I have to weigh whether or not I really want butter on my popcorn.

That may seem like a small thing to some, but to many of us, the increases in the price of not only groceries but in so many other goods and services are a big deal.  Toss in the threats of war that are being talked about lately and all of the other issues we hear about, and it is easy to become fearful and overwhelmed.

So I stick to sewing quilts and canning food and dehydrating food and storing all the other supplies that may be needed.  Gives me focus.  Keeps me sane - or as sane as I can be these days.  And I know I cannot change the behemoth our government has become.  But I can do everything in my power to make sure that no matter what happens, my family will be alright.

And that is far more important than anything any politicians could say.  As far as government goes.....I just wish they would leave me alone.


4 comments:

  1. "That may seem like a small thing to some, but to many of us, the increases in the price of not only groceries but in so many other goods and services are a big deal."

    Indeed, Vicki. A dollar here, a quarter there, a nickel here, a dime there, and now my monthly grocery bill EXCEEDS my MORTGAGE PAYMENT!... by a HUNDRED DOLLARS!!! It's literally death by a thousand cuts. No one cut is fatal, but the additive effect death! In the same way, our FREEDOM is being robbed of us one penny at a a time and one seemingly meaningless piece of legislation at a time. No one notices because after all, it's just a penny. After all, it's just an extra miniscule restriction on our right to bear arms; an additional signature. An additional storage requirement. By the time they're done, we're both poor and powerless. This is about as far from the America I grew up in as east is from west... Those younger than I don't even know what's been lost, as they never knew it themselves... As I said, a death by a thousand cuts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete: I kind of would like to know what happened to our Constitution. Like the part that says we have freedom of speech. Notice just how often someone, usually on the left but not always, will try to stop speech when they are "offended?" I don't recall seeing that part in the First Amendment!

      And seems to me that the words in the Second Amendment, "shall not be infringed," are being totally ignored. But I don't need to tell you that! And why in the name of good common sense aren't people challenging these unconstitutional rules and so-called laws!

      You are spot on. Those who want to control us are working on their goal a little bit at a time. And it seems to be working. At least until enough of us learn to say, "NO!"

      PS...My new Aloe Vera is thriving. Thanks to good advice, I don't seem to be killing it. At least not yet. :)

      Delete