Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Messing with my computer...

gave me the opportunity to learn some brand new swear words.  They didn't help much except to vent some of the frustration of losing the battle between computer and human.  I was able to fix enough to make my laptop usable again but there are still strange noises coming from within.  So I tossed some money at Duane and he went to the local computer store and came back with a very reasonably priced laptop.

It sounds a bit crass to say I tossed some money at Duane.  That is sort of a running gag between us.  He often buys the things I need but can not get out to shop for myself.  When asking him to do those errands for me, I usually tell him to stop over and I will toss some money at him to cover the cost. 

The reality is that I have made it a practice to stash cash for emergencies, a little at a time.  I try to keep a couple of months rent on hand - just in case.  And because I can no longer go shopping, it has been fairly easy to save enough so that I can replace a wonky computer without breaking the bank.

So now I am in the process of transferring information from the old computer to the new.  Several years back, the lady I worked for gave me an external hard drive.  I'm pretty sure it is now considered obsolete, what with the popularity of flash drives and other sources of data transfer.  It still works like a charm and has really come in handy for this use.

Now I just need to learn the ins and outs of the new operating system.  They seem pretty straight forward, but I am no computer genius, so it may take a little time to become comfortable.  At least, nothing growls at me when I use this new one!! 

12 comments:

  1. Nice to see you Vicki! Glad you have it almost sorted out. I always grumble at new programs or phone updates, etc etc, but then after while I can't even remember the way it was lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn...Good to be up and running again. I finally had to concede defeat and go with a new laptop. It is a cheapie, but it works and doesn't make those strange noises. The Windows system is not the newest, so it is fairly easy to figure out. On the bright side, having a backup, even if it growls at me some, is a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you.
    Loved the visual of money flying through the air.
    I,too, keep a bit of cash on hand. Came in handy when I went to pickup dog food and they were only accepting cash. Their computers were down, on a Saturday. I didn't miss a beat, just put my card away and pulled out the cash.

    I'm feeling better today although more tired then usual. This flu bug sort of kicked me around for a few days. I know it's bad when all I want to eat is Jello!
    Glad you're still up and running here.
    Cheers, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ...It is funny how silly little things a person says can become habit after a while. Good thing I am blessed with children who all have well developed senses of humor!

      There have been times when I needed cash and had none handy. As a result I started putting aside whatever I could each month. I am surprised at how quickly it adds up. And the knowing that if something happens I probably have it covered is priceless.

      Glad you are on the mend. That flu is some nasty kind of bug. I had it twice, but for far shorter times than you. As you often tell me, 'Take good care of yourself.'

      Delete
    2. I'm better but still eating a lot of Jello. No big meals yet.
      It's funny - a new computer is on my 'wants' list. However, I just ordered new glasses yesterday. I haven't had a new pair in 3 years so that took priority. It's a good thing I learned to budget all those years ago.
      I'm sitting here cozy under my fleece blanket with the dog snoring by my side. Have a great day.
      SJ

      Delete
    3. SJ...I am just lucky that I had enough cash stashed so I could get the new computer before the old one went completely belly up. I wonder how many of the younger generation have learned to save and budget in this instant gratification world we live in now.

      Jello is good. My parents believed that Pepto Bismol, Vicks Vaporub and 7-Up would cure whatever ailed you. :) Me...I vote for Campbells Chicken Noodle Soup as the wonder cure of all time!

      Stay cozy and warm. The temp has been falling all day and it is snowing like mad. Warm fuzzy blankets are the dress code of the day here, too.

      Delete
  4. My old Dell desktop with XP is giving me fits all the time, so I understand the aggravation. I'm glad you've been able to solve the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorges...This new one is a Dell and is slower than my more expensive HP, but I don't care. It works and there are no funny noises coming from its innards. It will do nicely.

      Delete
  5. They are nice and handy, until they poop out on us. Glad you had a back up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristina...Computers can be useful and aggravating all at once! I use mine a lot, what with the blog and genealogy research. Probably just wore the old one out.

      Delete
  6. Show that computer who is the boss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too late, BW...I do believe the old computer won that round. But I did get my revenge by relegating it to the backup position.

      Hope you are winning your fight with that nasty flu bug. I had it twice but both times were short lived. You must have caught the super flu that's going around.

      Delete