Monday, June 9, 2014

Not Much...

going on here today.  You are probably as tired of hearing about my aches and pains as I am of having them.  A little at a time, I'm getting caught up on nearly a months worth of neglected chores.  Something blew up inside my microwave so scrubbing that is on my to do list, as well as cleaning the refrigerator that contains what appears to be some really bad science experiments.  I am a bit surprised how quickly things can deteriorate when not attended to regularly.

It would be fairly easy to sink into a bout of depression, so I work really, really hard to not let that happen.  When I need to get off my feet, I sit and crochet or sew and watch old movies.  My choices are Agatha Christie type mysteries or comedies.  Mostly mysteries, for I have always liked a good "Who-Done-It."  My Kindle is full of old, out of copyright books gleaned from the Internet, and I have to say that I am enjoying reading more often than I usually do.   The books may be old, but the stories are timeless.

It's the little things that help get me through.  Like the promise from Youngest Son that when he is in town this week, he will bring me a treat from Dairy Queen.  I still haven't forgiven Dairy Queen for moving from two blocks away to the other side of town.  Years ago I had a Cocker Spaniel.  I would take him to the Dairy Queen with me.  A regular sized chocolate cone for me and a baby sized vanilla cone for him.  Had to stop doing that, though, when he refused to move unless we were headed in the direction of the ice cream.  I loved that dog!  He was the same one who would turn his back on me and grumble when I wouldn't share my spaghetti with him.

I wonder if dogs understand more than we give them credit for.  The past two weeks Jessie Jane has spent a great amount of time laying on the floor next to me with either her chin or a paw on my foot.  This is unusual behavior for her.  And Lily spends time bringing her toys - and she has a bunch of them - to lay next to me.  I have to be careful not to trip over piles of tennis balls and stuffed animals.  This is something she has never done before.  She will scatter them about in play, but never pile them up for me.

I have sat long enough.  Off to clean the fridge.  I had better, for the last time I opened the door, I think something growled at me.  If you don't hear from me in a day or two, send in a rescue party!

8 comments:

  1. I've been watching my weight, so I'm avoiding sweets.

    Last night, I didn't succumb to the urge, but it was powerful and would only be satisfied with a D.Q. strawberry sundae.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess...My guilty pleasure comes in the form of a chocolate malt. It is probably a good thing that the D Q moved to the other side of town, or I would weigh much more than I do!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've weight too...tens pounds in two weeks. I like to read of your quiet routine. Our local DQ is located in a very bad area, yet I've never had to pull my piece. Darn it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen...My routine is so very quiet that sometimes I haven't the foggiest notion of what to write about! Other people go exciting places and do exciting things, but I just sort of move from day to day, smiling and humming nonsense tunes to myself. I like my life, but unless one of my grandkids does something wild, it is pretty tame here.

    If your local Dairy Queen is in a bad part of town, I can only suggest (though I know you will) keep on carrying. Odds are that sooner or later, the opportunity to defend will present itself. I'm noticing an upturn of violence - fights, domestic abuse, assaults - in the city, more so than even a year ago. I'm thankful that my town is still quiet most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww the quiet life can get mundane sometimes but it sounds like you are keeping your mind and hands busy.
    Sounds like the dogs are trying to keep you company too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its very ez to fall into a rut. Trying to do much when you can't move at all or very fast is rough. Just wanted you to know I am feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary...Yeah, I always have things to do. Lots of hobbies - sewing, crochet, scrapbooking, genealogy, etc. I actually like my life a lot. Just not lots of exciting things to blog about!!
    The pooches are taking more interest in me than they normally do. I think they sense that things haven't been quite right. Either that, or I have spoiled them with the extra time spent in pets and belly rubs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rob...I'm really glad that you are doing alright. You have had a time of it, haven't you. Hope that is all behind you now.
    I get a bit frustrated when I can't get done the things I want done, but I know that each day is a little better than the last, and each day it gets a little easier to do what I need to do, so it will be OK eventually.

    ReplyDelete