It is amazing to me just how many yards of fabric scraps one person can accumulate. I discovered I not only had plenty of scrap fabric for the window quilts, there is more than enough for at least one full sized quilt. As long as I was making a mess with little snippets of cloth, I decided to cut out enough pieces for the quilt along with the window quilt pieces.
Years past it would have been a quick and easy job of cutting quilt pieces for patchwork, using a heavy plastic ruler and a rotary cutter. However, as with many of my vintage, arthritis in the hands is causing problems. I have tried every trick in the book, but I am unable to keep the cutter straight and the ruler as firmly in place to be able to cut precise pieces. So I have reverted to the method I used many years ago before the newer cutting methods were available. I made a template of plastic and draw around it for each patchwork piece, cutting them out with a scissors, giving each piece about a quarter inch seam allowance, using the pencil line as my sewing guide. Time consuming - yes. But I was wasting too much fabric when the ruler would slip or when my fingers couldn't control the direction of the rotary cutter. Using a template is an old time method, but it works.
I am spending today cutting fabric. A friend mentioned the British TV series, 'Wartime Kitchen and Garden. I found it on YouTube and am watching that today as I work. It is about how cooks and gardeners coped with the food rationing in England during WWII. So far I am finding lots of useful information that may be needed right here at home, if things continue to slide downhill.
I hope to start sewing by the weekend. Until then, back at it. Only about 500 more pieces to go. Sigh.
Thursday Memes And Memories
2 hours ago