Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Tough

This is my youngest daughter, Jeri.  I always knew she was tough.  But I didn't know she was 45 lbs. of halibut tough!


She is on vacation in Alaska with her boyfriend Jim and her daughter Nicki and Nicki's boyfriend, Chris.  She called me this afternoon to make sure I checked FB where she had uploaded the picture.  She and Jim went halibut fishing today.  Earlier they each caught fish, weighing 20 lbs. each but were too small to keep.  Then she hooked the monster in the picture.  Reeled it all by herself, she did.  Apparently, when a fish that size gets up to the boat, they harpoon it.  Jeri said she got lucky for when Jim harpooned it, the fish got off the hook.

They are going salmon fishing tomorrow.  If they all catch enough to make up 50 lbs., they will ship the salmon home.

And if that happens, I get some.  :)

14 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a great fish...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob...I looked up the picture on FB while talking to her on the phone. I said the fish was nearly as big as she is. Turns out the fish is 40 inches long and she is about 60 inches tall. :)

      Delete
  2. Gorges...She was so excited. It was fun to listen to her tell me all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad she likes it in Homer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not for sure where she is right now, Rev. Paul. I know they were staying with Jim's sister in Juneau but not sure where the cabin they planned to stay in is. Could be Homer - you know Alaska way better than I. Visiting that beautiful state is one thing on my bucket list that will not happen, but I really enjoy when you post pictures. :)

      Delete
  4. Several years ago my son went fishing in Alaska and got a halibut about that size. It was wonderful eating. I hope they get enough to ship out. It will be worth every penny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue...Can't say as I have ever had halibut. I'm pretty sure they will feast on some of it. She talked about shipping salmon home if they catch enough. Hope so. I love salmon. :)

      Delete
  5. Kristina...I was on the phone with her when I first saw the picture. It was so much fun hearing her tell her Mom all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looks like someone who can deal with tough times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry...She isn't into prepping at all, but I think that both she and her boyfriend could handle most anything that came their way.

      Delete
  7. Freshly caught halibut tastes fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BW...I have been promised some frozen and maybe some salmon if they catch any. Either way, it will be a treat.

      Delete
  8. Whoa! That's a big fish, Alaska seems like it would be a fantastic beautiful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenn...I've never been there but from all I have heard, it would be a great trip. My daughter and her crew are having a great time!

      Delete