Saturday, June 15, 2024

Successful Experiment

When I get involved in a project and mealtime rolls around, I go for quick and easy.  And that generally comes in a jar of home canned food.

While scanning my shelves for something that looked good, I found, hiding back in a corner, a jar of sausage patties.  I remembered having a large quantity of bulk sausage some time back and canning patties was the experiment of the day.

The date on the jar was August 2019.  I popped the lid, took a sniff and concluded the patties looked and smelled OK.

Dropped the meat into a small cake pan.  Dug in the freezer and found some Tater Tots.  Threw in a couple of handfuls of those.  Into the oven the pan went at 400 degrees.  Let them heat until the sausage looked browned on top - about a half hour.

Fried up a couple of eggs and dinner was served.

Tasted great.  An experiment that actually worked!  Not too often that happens, at least for me.

If anyone is interested, the sausage was formed into patties that fit in a wide mouth pint jar.  Water was added to cover, and the patties were canned at 10 lbs. pressure (for my area) for 75 minutes.  Even while experimenting, following the basic rules of canning is not only important, it is necessary.

I have a bunch of hamburger in the freezer and I'm thinking I might try this with the beef.  Also plan to buy more bulk sausage if it ever goes on sale.

Doesn't hurt to branch out and try new things.  Might actually come up with a winner.  :)

4 comments:

  1. That's great, Vicki! Sounds delicious, too. :)
    You all be safe and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LindaG...Sometimes the experiment actually works. :) Things are getting dicey out there. Stay safe. God bless.

      Delete
  2. Beef patties work great too. Try it, I've done them and also wrapped them in parchment (helps to get them into the jar). All good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo Hoo!!! So glad you let me know this works with beef as well as sausage. It is kind of hot just now, but when it cools down enough so I can use the presure canner without heating up my apartment too much, canned hamburger patties are planned. Thanks!

      Delete