Saturday, November 28, 2009

I Am Thankful

Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on our blessings and those things we are thankful for. My blessings were all together at David and Staci's home on Thanksgiving Day. How I love these times when my family is all gathered in one place to spend time with each other.


David is a wonderful cook, and a brave one. He tried out several new recipes for our Thanksgiving dinner, and all turned out well. I had never tasted turkey roasted on the grill. He said that he marinated it in an apple juice brine overnight before grilling. It was soooo good. Jon won the debate as to whether the accompanying side dish was "dressing" or "stuffing." It seems that it is only "stuffing" when it has been stuffed into the bird before roasting. Makes sense to me. As is our custom, each brought something to share for our meal, and we feasted like kings on the traditional Thanksgiving fare.


It was such fun for me to watch my grown children working together in the kitchen preparing our meal. There was much talk and more laughter with good natured teasing thrown in for good measure. I was reprimanded for snitching a piece of turkey, but I thought I should make sure it was fit for everyone to eat. The grandchildren hovered, waiting for it all to be ready to eat, and Jacob came carrying his bib. He was more than ready.









Charlie circled the kitchen, making sure that if a crumb dropped on the floor, he was on it. It was his job to keep the floor clean, and he did it well, right up until the time he was banished from the kitchen.


I brought Jessie with me as I wanted to start getting her used to being with people. She did well, did not leave any puddles on the floor, got along well with Charlie, and the grandkids had fun playing with her.





After pie and coffee later in the afternoon, it was time to head on home. When I got home I downloaded the pictures I had taken from my camera onto my computer. Looking through them, I thought about how very much I have to be thankful for. And most of what I am thankful for was gathered together for a truly nice Thanksgiving Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment