Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Sigh of Relief

The midterms are over.  The mudslinging ads are done.  Here in Minnesota it was all about health care.  The left told us if we had a pre-existing condition we would die if the right was voted in.  And the right was all about calling the left liars.  The left pretty much won here, which is no great surprise.  And life still goes on and will probably continue regardless.

I had a few days of catching up on chores that had been neglected and a few days of staying in my jammies and reading and napping and crocheting.  So now I am ready to get back into my normal routine. 

I have ordered enough vegetables for huge batch of soup to be canned.  They will arrive Thursday, so I will prep them Thursday afternoon and can the soup either Friday or Saturday.  When I get ready to use it, I just add a jar of canned meat and a bit of seasoning.  It can be eaten as soup or thickened over dumplings or biscuits.

I haven't seen much of my two oldest.  Daughter Jill came down with pneumonia, but is recovering nicely.  Son Duane was feeling under the weather and then broke out in a rash on his forehead.  Turns out he had shingles, which caused him to stay home a week because shingles is contagious.  He stayed away from me, too.  He went back to work today.

Feels like winter is just around the corner with colder temps and just enough snow in the surrounding area to cause a bunch of fender benders this morning.  Happens every year.  We forget over the summer how to drive on icy roads.  But we relearn fast.  :)

So it is off to the kitchen to fix a bit of supper and then settle in for an evening of crocheting and movie watching.  I swear, this afghan I'm working on for Boston is taking forever to finish.  With 144 granny squares in it, I shouldn't be surprised it is taking so long.  I'll show it to you when it is done, but that may be awhile.

It is good to be back.  :)

8 comments:

  1. The expense of covering those pre-existing conditions is the very thing that made insurance so expensive that my wife and I now have NO coverage at all. I guess they matter more than we do. Glad you're still "percolating."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorges...I understand the problems with pre-existing conditions. My late husband had epilepsy and insurance was totally out of reach for many years. Then we lucked into a Minnesota state insurance program that was affordable for the last 5 or 6 years of his life. Last I heard, the program ended shortly after I retired and went on Medicare. I don't know what the answer is. Considering that it is all about money, I don't see anything changing for folks like you or me, any time soon.

      Delete
  2. Welcome back!
    My brother-in-law stuck it out in a not so great job so that his son who had a health condition would have coverage. He would have loved to have worked for a different employer all those years but he put his family first.
    Sorry about your kids. I've had shingles twice. Didn't know what it was the first time. The second time I immediately knew what it was and got into the doctor on day1. I got a prescription for antivirals, the rash stopped, and the recovery time was shorter.

    Yea for cooler weather and canning!
    Cheers, SJ


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ...I think there are lots of folks these days who stay at a job for the benefits. Especially when they have kids. If it weren't for Social Security and Medicare, I'd be in a world of hurt.

      Both kids are on the mend. I talked to Jill today and she sounded much better than she did over the weekend. And Duane went back to work today. He still has a little pain, but it is clearing up well.

      I don't mind canning when it is cold outside and the apartment doesn't get uncomfortably hot. The soup is a good base for lots of meals and I have been wanting to can some more for a while. Will likely do the canning over the weekend.

      Give Mr. Dog a pat on the head for me. :)

      Delete
  3. It sure is good to have you back. It sounds like you made good use of your time off though. I also indulge in a "pajama day" now and then...like playing hooky from life's usual routine.

    I have pretty much completed my canning of our garden produce for the year. Several weeks ago my son picked a rather large amount of apples so what's a person to do? I canned dozens of jars of applesauce. I still had several 5 gallon buckets of the little red and gold beauties so this week has been all about stashing away premade apple crisp desserts in the freezer. I have seven 9 x 9 pans put away and should be able to do that many more by the end of this week. Quick and easy desserts are my favorite kind.

    I hope your kids feel better soon. Take care and happy canning...CWfromIowa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, CW...It is good to be back. I missed all of you. And yes, I take a jammie day now and then. It is almost like a mini vacation, for those are the days I indulge myself by reading a good book or watching movies.

      Wow! You must have had a whole lot of apples. I wouldn't have thought to make apple crisp for the freezer. When I was a kid we had a very small apple orchard and my mother and I made stacks and stacks of apple pies and froze them. Same when we could get cases of peaches. I really like the idea of apple crisp - one of my favorite desserts.

      I guess the term 'kids' might be a bit misleading. Both are over 50 years old. But I don't care how old they are, they are still my kids and I still worry when they get sick. Both are on the mend and both are feeling better.

      Good to hear from you.

      Delete
  4. Don't get me started on medical coverage. Weather sucks, election sucks, we all have been passing a stomach bug around. one of the cars broke down. Not estimate on repair. But Hey We are alive and kicking...Is it time for baseball yet>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob...It is tough to find a blessing when everything seems to be headed down the flushable loo, isn't it. Try to think about the good stuff, my pessimistic friend. We have roofs over our heads. We have food put by so we aren't hungry. We have kids and grands who love us. We are not standing on a street corner wearing sigh that says, 'Will work for food.' And best of all, even though we sometimes think otherwise, God has our backs. It will get better. He promised.

      Delete