Sunday, March 17, 2019

What Will You Do When The Lights Go Out

I'm not talking about how to deal with domestic chores or the feeding and watering of animals.  Nor am I talking about how to start a fire or build a shelter or forage for food.  All of us will have plenty to do what with laundry and meals and dealing with sanitary conditions.  Those who raise animals and gardens will be even more busy.  I am talking about how to keep the kids from killing one another or driving you crazy during the times when, with electricity, they would be busy with their computers or cell phones or watching television.   Or those adult apartment dwellers like this chubby granny who will need to have something to occupy their time when the chores are completed.  Sitting in the dark waiting for the sunrise is sort of a bleak prospect.

My number one suggestion is books.  Real paper books.  I love my Kindle, but unless I invest in a solar charger, when the battery runs down, I am done.  And I am not talking about the how-to books or medical books or survival books most preppers want on their bookshelves.  Those are important, but I'm talking about picture books for the little ones.  Story books, adventure books, girly-girl romance books for the pre-teens.  Mysteries, spy novels, travel books, history and biographies for the rest of us.  Many afternoons and evenings have been wiled away, lost in stories found in books.  Sleepless nights have occurred when I just had to keep reading to find out what happened next.

There are other kinds of books.  For the kids, coloring books and sticker books.  There are all sorts of activity books for kids that not only keep them busy but can also teach.  My mother, who was in a nursing home but still had a very sharp mind, went through so many puzzle books to pass the time and keep her mind active, that my Dad had a hard time finding books for her that she hadn't already done.  There are how-to books.  Learn to knit.  Learn to crochet.  Learn how to build a birdhouse.  Learn just about anything you want to learn with a book.  Remember, without electricity, YouTube doesn't exist.  Nor do Google searches.

You don't need to sell the farm in order to buy books.  My local library has a book sale every summer.  There are used book shops, thrift shops and garage sales.  I checked Craig's List and found a complete set of the 'Little House' books for $3 each and a set of 32 military history books for $30.  The good prices on books are out there.  We just have to look.

Then there are craft supplies.  One year for Christmas I gave my then pre-teen grands small tubs full of craft supplies.  Construction paper, drawing paper, pencils, markers, a small paint set, sequins, buttons, scissors, glue sticks, feathers, art foam, etc.  Kept them busy for hours.  I have a stash of yarn and another of fabric.  And a picnic basket full of sewing supplies.  I make things.  I also have a stash of scrapbooking supplies.  I would bet that some of my grands would love to make small picture albums from those.  And a stash of beads and jewelry making supplies.  One granddaughter gave me a bracelet she made, so I know she would have fun creating necklaces and ear rings. 

Board games are another way to pass the time and have fun doing it.  Usually when my family gets together, sooner or later you will find several of them engrossed in a game of Monopoly or Yahtzee or Sorry.  Playing cards are used for any number of games as well as solitaire.  I need to pick up Uno cards and a couple of the other specialty card games to have on hand.

I know that in a real grid down situation, much of our time will be spent just staying alive.  But we also need some down time to decompress.  The constant stress can wreak havoc on the human body and mind, and when that happens we are useless to our kids, our loved ones and ourselves.    And kids don't always understand the seriousness of a situation and they need to be kept busy when plunking them down in front of a TV for cartoons or video games is no longer an option.

I truly hope it never comes to this.  But the world has gotten so very out of control that I wouldn't bet against it happening.  And if it does, this is just another part of being prepared.

18 comments:

  1. Vicki, you are right on the mark. My favorite places to shop are small town thrift shops. All of those items you mentioned can be found for 25 cents to a dollar apiece. For the past five years I have been purchasing nearly new books, cards/games, school supplies, and craft type items at a fraction of the retail price. I have attempted to store them away neatly for the time when they will be needed.

    One point that I feel strongly about is that there most likely will come the time where children will not be able to attend schools outside the home. Parents will need to take responsibility, if they aren't already, for educating their children in the home setting. Schools are sorely lacking in teaching daily living skills which may be quite valuable in the near future. Parents and grandparents could and should be incorporating the learning of basic living skills along with fun activities. My son just recently surprised me when he was able to tie a particular knot for something we were doing. I asked him where he learned how to do it. Well, turns out his grandfather taught him 20+ years ago while teaching him how to sail a small sailboat. Grandfather did his grandson a real favor and it stuck.

    Thank you for bringing this topic up! It is going to be very important. CW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW...I think you are spot on about the fact that kids may not be able to attend school whenever SHTF. Certainly a lights out scenario would close schools. I guess I am old fashioned enough to believe that kids need to be taught the basics - reading, writing and math along with history. I'm not so sure I like what passes for education these days. We learned to work math problems in our heads rather than with a calculator. Do they even teach multiplication tables any more? Or cursive writing? I think there is way too much reliance on computers and cell phones. When those things go away, kids are going to just be lost. Those with kids or grands of school age would do well to stock up on school supplies and teaching aids. Great suggestion.

      There are those who laugh at their old fuddy-duddy grandparents, but we know stuff. We know how to preserve food and sew clothing and raise fruit and vegetables. We know about livestock and how to fix things, and if we don't know for sure how to do something, we can figure it out. All of that is being lost. I have known some in the younger generation who haven't a clue how to sew on a button or where to even start to bake a loaf of bread. Their cooking skills consist of reading the directions on the box to see how long to microwave the contents. I am grateful that my youngest son is teaching his kids many of the skills they need to learn.

      We need to know how to survive without electricity and electronics and we also need to have a way to relax just a bit from the hard times I fear are not all that far off. Think Venezuela.

      Delete
  2. Right on. I recently picked up an Encyclopedia Britannia set at the thrift store. I almost didn't put it in my cart and then thought, oh I'll regret not buying that.
    And don't forget dominoes. Great for game playing or using as building blocks.
    Sunshine and the beginning of spring here.
    Cheers, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ...When I was writing this post I thought about a set of encyclopedias, wishing I had one. I had forgotten about dominoes. Now that you reminded me, I recall as a kid, lining them all up and then knocking the first in line over to watch them all fall.

      Cool but sunny here. Forecast is for warmer and dry the rest of the week. I wonder if my window guys will show up?!

      Delete
  3. I love my Kindle too, Vickie, but its main function for me is "recreational" reading, though I do have a couple of "how-to" titles on it. I also have a solar charger; a gift from one of my sons to his nutty prepper dad. It'll juice up anything that uses a USB cable to charge. ANYTHING of consequence; information that might be needed in a grid-down scenario, is kept in hardcopy! Some titles I've bought new, while others have been gleaned from yard sales, which I've found to be a GOLDMINE for books! I've found excellent hardcover and paperback books on everything from natural remedies to gardening to homeschooling to ham radio for LITERALLY pennies on the dollar! We also pick up board games, jigsaw puzzles, arts & crafts materials for the grandkids, both for use now, and when the SHTF.

    And the son who gave his nutty prepper dad a solar charger; I came to find out he carries a go bag in his car. ...Damn... They actually DO listen sometimes!... I guess the tree doesn't grow too far from the nut...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete...My Kindle is mostly for recreational reading as well. I'm especially fond of Agatha Christie type mysteries, but I do have a couple of cookbooks from the 1800's that include information on the old ways of preserving food as well as some really neat 'from scratch' recipes. A solar charger is on my 'want' list. I don't own a cell phone to charge, but I would hate to lose the Kindle. I also love yard sales and hope to brow-beat some of the kids into taking me to some this summer. I had forgotten about jigsaw puzzles. Excellent addition to the supplies.

      The kids will surprise us once in a while, won't they. I have received phone calls asking me how to can salsa or wanting my recipe for homemade bread. Warms the heart, it does. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh another great stop and think posting. Not that I want to think about it, but the inner city kids are going to loot, riot and just go nuts. Its us rural folks that will have it together. I'm still here just super busy. Like the warmer weather??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rob...If it gets that bad, it won't be just inner city rioting, especially if there are food shortages. Anybody can turn ugly if they are hungry enough. People have told me they will just come to my house and I tell them no they won't. It is family first. I'm loving the warmer weather and mostly loving the fact that no more snow is on the horizon. Life is good!!

      Delete
  5. better for the development of their brains
    do it all he time, not just in a power outage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes sense to me, deb...I am really pleased that my grands are learning things other than what they learn at school. Makes for a well-rounded person and one who can think for themselves.

      Delete
  6. Good ideas. I also love my ipad mini for reading. We do have a solar charger that DH received as a gift, as part of our emergency supplies. I'm hoping to start getting a small library together at home (from thrift sales of course) and have books available to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One Family...I guess I thought of books first because I have always read nearly everything I could lay my hands on. As a kid it was the "Bobsey Twins and Nancy Drew Mysteries." I still love a good mystery. I would be lost without something to read.

      Delete
  7. Dominoes was the only game my Dad would play with me. I think it helped with my math skills.
    Another thing I've collected are older versions of the Boy Scout and Girl Scout manuals.
    Sunny all day here. Yippee -- I even saw the tips of the daffodils peaking out.
    Cheers, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ...Mother thought playing cards were of the devil - mother thought lots of things were of the devil - so they weren't allowed, but we played Uno and Rook and Old Maid card games. And lots of board games. I remember dominoes, too, but they weren't played often. I don't know why.

      The Scout manuals are a great idea - lots of useful information.

      Looks like temps here will be 60 degrees by Friday. Woo Hoo!!!

      Delete
  8. Love Love this article! You know me, always working to prepare for any scenario. I have a big bag of games from chess/checkers to phase 10. I suggest on the books to get the larger print to read by oil lamp or you might get neck cramps and buggy eyes! ha ha Thank you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mary, I already am getting the buggy eyed thing going on. Ha! I have a small magnifying glass for really small print. I'm thinking about investing in one of those large table stand magnifying glasses they use for cross stitch or other fine needlework. What I really would like is a large print Bible.

      Somehow I just knew you would have this covered. We are on the same page when it comes to preparing. :)

      Delete