Thursday, March 28, 2019

Bits and Bobs...

I have been a bit under the weather this week.  Not sick...just a little head achy and low energy.  Sort of blah, like when you are coming down with a cold.  Last evening I curled up in my recliner with my Kindle and promptly fell asleep about 8:30.  This morning I woke to a gorgeous pink and purple sunrise, feeling great.  Or as great as I can feel until I have my coffee.  Guess sometimes getting enough sleep will cure what ails you.

Although it is only 39 degrees this morning, I have a window open an inch or two and will open it more later when we are promised a 50 degree afternoon.  The tree outside my window is beginning to bud and the little birds are back - about a dozen of them, mostly sparrows and chickadees - perched on the branches, squabbling and gossiping and carrying on.  The sound is welcome after such a long, cold winter.

While I was feeling out of sorts, I spent some time on YouTube.  It amazes me the things you can learn.  I ran across several videos about growing herbs in jars of water.  A couple of years ago I tried growing some vegetables in pots on my window sills, but it pretty much was a dismal failure.  When I order my groceries again in two weeks, I think I will order a few herbs to try and maybe a couple other things like lettuce and celery that they say can be grown in bowls of water.  It is worth a try and might be fun.

The nurse who takes care of my legs three times a week is such a cute little thing.  When I talked to her about using flannel for the bandages on my legs, she didn't think I was crazy (or if she did, she didn't say so), and jumped right in to test the theory.  Anyway, she told me last week they are expecting their first child.  She says she doesn't want to know the gender of the baby until it is born.  I have been going through my stash of fabrics to see if I have enough baby neutral colors of fabric for a baby rag quilt.  I think I found enough yellow and green with bunnies and carrots on it to make a cute quilt.  If there isn't enough, I can always order some fabric online.  It is so much fun to make things for others.

I am looking forward to my grocery delivery today.  I don't often indulge myself, but this time I ordered a box of Little Debbie Nutty Bars.  Life is always happier with a box of Little Debbie Nutty bars.  :)

And now it is back to the sewing machine to sew zig-zag stitches around the edges of the last stack of 4x4 inch bandages.  That will give me around 200 of them and I go through close to 20 per week.  I love it that I no longer need to order more of the commercial ones, but can just wash these in hot, soapy water (to get rid of the salve on them) and they come out just like new.

Love it when a plan comes together and actually works!

12 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were ailing, but I'm glad to hear that you're better. It's nice you're making a quilt for the girl's baby. I bet you're the only person who does, so few people quilt anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gorges...was nothing serious. I felt honored she told me about the upcoming event. She takes such good care of me that it is a pleasure to be able to do something in return.

      Delete
  2. Being sick one last time for winter. Sammy has a little bark, he's off for spring break this week. I have a little Debbie problem too, mines going on 33 years in Aug..LOL. Did your window ever get finished yet??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't anything serious, Rob. Hope Sammy gets over his 'bark.' I'm gonna tell your wife on you! I'll bet your little Debbie is more an asset than a problem. :) And no...I haven't seen the window installers yet and if I don't pretty soon, I'm going to have to have a serious chat with my landlord. There's no reason in the world why I should still be looking at a piece of plywood where a window should be. grumble, grumble!!

      Delete
  3. Sorry you were not feeling like yourself for a few days. It may have been that your system was still fighting off the bladder or urinary tract infection. Sounds like the cranberry juice and extra rest may have turned things around for you :). Making a baby blanket will be lots off fun and very worthwhile. We would love to see a picture of the finished project! Oh, and I love watching You-Tube to learn new skills and information. Have you seen the one on how to make Brown Sugar Biscuits in a cast iron skillet? Yum! Prepare and take care... CW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning CW...Wasn't anything serious - just a rare time when I didn't feel like doing much of anything. A good night's sleep seems to have taken care of the problem.

      I haven't enough of the fabric I thought to use for the quilt. I want to make it a crib size so it can be used longer than one for a newborn. Later today I will stroll through some online fabric stores and find something that can be used for either a boy or girl. I will post a picture when it is finished, but don't look for it any time soon.

      It is astounding how much information a person can find on YouTube. I often use it when I want to learn something new or how to make something. We need to be careful, though, as there are those who claim to be experts who aren't. I have the brown sugar biscuit video bookmarked but haven't watched it yet. They sound delicious!

      Hope you are enjoying the same sunshine as we are today!

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear you have had the blahs...it's contagious ya know been that way myself. Feel better today, maybe it is the weather turning around who knows. It was in the high 70's here yesterday and gorgeous! I too would like to see pics when you are done. Take care my friend..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary...Must be just this time of year. 60's here yesterday and 20 this morning. Wish Mother Nature could make up her mind and let us have a real Spring!

      I will post pics when the quilt is finished, but it won't be right away. I have some other projects going that need to be finished first and there is time before baby is due. I'm looking forward to working on it. It is always fun to make baby stuff!

      Have been following Table Talk. Really interesting and thought provoking. Good job, my friend!!

      Delete
  5. Your post brought a smile to my face. Life goes on, right?
    SJ in Vancouver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could provide a smile, my friend. Life indeed goes on. Some days are better than others, but we seem to make it through eventually anyway.

      Delete
  6. Although we live different lifestyles, in different places, we have a lot in common. I like to watch the sun come up, and I always have to have my coffee.

    Sometimes it's easy to get wrapped up in the stressful aspects of life, and forget the quiet, tranquil moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry...I think there was a time when we believed that a city dwelling woman in Minnesota and a mountain living man in Georgia couldn't possibly find common ground. I wonder if the ease in communicating these days may have changed that. We get to know how people think and what their values are and find they are often close to our own.

      I can't see the sunset from my apartment, but the sunrises can be spectacular. This morning there was a dark band of clouds on the horizon and the sun fairly exploded over the top. As for coffee - every now and then I add to my stash. I store tea as well, but for me, coffee is the ultimate comfort food!

      The more the world goes completely bat guano crazy around me, the more I find myself turning to the things that make me happy. Sewing a quilt or crocheting an afghan for a grand or baking a loaf of bread. And sunrises. And coffee. They are necessary to keep from getting lost in the crazy and becoming a raving maniac. :)

      Delete