Thursday, April 21, 2022

If the current administration...

is trying to wreck our country, they are doing a fine job of it, judging by my grocery bill today.

A couple of months ago, a 3 lb. package of frozen chicken breast was $9.99. Today I paid $16.00 each. One loaf of bread was $4.99. The lady who takes my order was right. An 18 count carton of eggs is $4.50.

How on earth is a family with kids going to keep feeding them? Those who think it is foolish to stockpile food are going to be hungry if this trend continues.

I found 6 fruit rollup inserts for my dehydrator trays. I don't have the fancy, expensive dehydrators. Mine are the round ones with the heater and fan in the lid. They do the job.

I cracked 6 eggs at a time into my blender and pulsed them 3-4 times. I just wanted them blended – not whipped. Six eggs fit on a tray and I have 6 trays in the dehydrator now. Will let you know how they turn out and will also test making scrambled eggs and baking using them.

As long as I am at it, I decided to can some chicken and bacon. I am out of pint jars, so they will be canned in half pint jars. That is just the right amount for sandwiches and enough bacon to add to eggs or scalloped potatoes.

I know that I am paying too much for food, but it will cost more next month. So whatever I can put back now costs me less in the long run.

People are talking about food shortages and more inflation. I don't know if those predictions will happen, but I am not willing to bet food for my family on the outcome. Stack it to the rafters, people. And if nothing happens, you and yours will eat well for a long time.

14 comments:

  1. It's insane. I just ordered a bag of chicken feed pellets to pick up at the feed store today. It's gone up 27% since the last bag I bought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One Family...Insane is the perfect description. And I don't think it will get better any time soon.

      Delete
    2. Layer mash feed in my area has gone up $2.00 per 50lb bag in two months; up 12.5%.

      Boneless chicken breast cost more ON SPECIAL than the "everyday" price two months ago.

      We're getting poorer every day, folks...

      Remember this in the upcoming elections...

      Delete
  2. Regarding "How on earth is a family with kids going to keep feeding them?"

    Follow the example of that "glorious leader" and send your brother and child across the world to make shady deals that benefit "the Big Guy" or gal. (Of course, I am not inferring that you are in any way as big as I am.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark 1:1...That works if you are a despicable criminal who cares nothing for the people you are supposed to be leading. I would rather follow the example of my Dad, who worked two and sometimes three jobs in order to feed his family, who was honest and kind and caring. I can only hope that my children remember their Grandfather's example on how to live.

      Delete
  3. You can freeze eggs too! Just scramble them a bit to get the whites and yolks mixed and put them into freezer baggies or containers with a tiny bit of either salt or sugar (depending on what you plan to use them for) in the amounts you typically use (2, 3, 4). Label, lay flat and freeze - they stack pretty well and don't take up much space! :) They will keep about a year this way if kept frozen. Just thaw in the fridge overnight when you want to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. American Housewife...It is good to have several ways of preserving foods. I have limited freezer space, but think I may be able to freeze a few eggs. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  4. How on Earth are families going to stay fed? They'll subsist on beans and rice like every other 3rd World country! We're being "indoctrinated" into the Venezuelan lifestyle as we speak. We'll "own nothing and be happy!" ...They look so happy down there... So happy they're flooding into our country to "spread the love..."

    ...Keep your powder dry, folks... 'Don't have any powder? Y'might want to add that to the list...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am completely amazed, Pete, at the number of people who are perfectly content to let government take over every aspect of their lives instead of working to take care of themselves. I just can not imagine going hat in hand to beg for what I am capable of providing for myself and my family.

      Keep your pwder dry - absoutely. I have to wonder if there are enough of us left who are willing to use it if necessary.

      Delete
  5. The criminals are working overtime making our lives more difficult every hour of every day. It is shameful, but do not give up. Do whatever you must do to care for your family. Pray for God's protection. Stay strong everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are spot on, CW...The evil ones are doing everything they can to gain power over all of us. If we give up, we just hand our families over to some of the most evil and perverted people on the planet. Pray and prepare!

      Delete
  6. They want us eating only what the government provides, and when.

    Be safe and God bless you all, Vicki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... Look how well that's working in Shanghai...

      Delete
    2. LindaG...Every day we see something else pushing us in that direction. I have to wonder what it will take for people to decide they have had enough and push back.

      Delete