Thursday, April 28, 2022

Results From Dehydrating Eggs

 Sorry it took so long to finish up with the dehydrated eggs.  I sort of got busy canning chicken, bacon and hamburger. 

My dehydrator fruit rollup inserts for the trays held 6 eggs each.  So I cracked 6 eggs into my blender, pulsed them just enough to blend them well and poured the eggs onto the trays.  It took about 24 hours at 125 degrees to completely dry.  I put the dried eggs into a ziploc bag. 

So this morning I ran the dried eggs through my little electric coffee grinder to turn them into powder.  36 fresh eggs became nearly 2 pints of powder.

The instructions I had seen said to mix 1 Tablespoon of egg powder with 1 Tablespoon of water to equal 1 egg.  Since both my trials needed 2 eggs each, I mixed up eggs and water accordingly in 2 coffee cups and let them sit for 5 minutes to allow the egg powder to absorb the water.

I melted a little butter in a pan and scrambled the first mixture.  I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised.  I had expected issues with texture and taste, but there was very little difference from fresh eggs.  I will have no problem at all eating these eggs when the fresh are no longer available or too expensive for my pay grade.

I used the other egg mixture to make a pan of brownies.  I could detect no difference from using fresh eggs.

All things considered, I will call this little experiment a success and I will be dehydrating more eggs soon.

Note:  When pouring the blended eggs onto the trays, I strongly suggest having the trays already on the dehydrator.  The reason I suggest this is from the experience of wiping 6 blended eggs off my leg, foot and floor.  Yep - not a good idea to fill trays and then move them to the dehydrator.  :) 



3 comments: