Thursday, September 19, 2024

Upcoming Canning Marathon

 Here we go!  Groceries were delivered earlier today.  Everything I ordered arrived.  I have noticed that only occasionally so far, an item ordered is out of stock.  More often there are substitutions in brands, but so far, we are not experiencing the food shortages reported elsewhere.  High prices - Yes.  Shortages - not so much.

There are 4 family packs of chicken drumsticks (68 cents per lb.) waiting to be packed into wide mouth quart jars and canned.  I use these several ways, but the best way for me is in a chicken and dumplings meal.

Seasoned pork loin was on sale - buy 1 get 2 more.  I got 6 loins total - 4 seasoned and 2 plain.  Decided to can the two plain loins as I am not sure if the seasonings in the flavored ones will can without turning bitter.  Cut the seasoned loins into meal for one sized portions and froze them, except for 2 that will be supper for me over the weekend.

I'm also going to try canning potatoes without liquid in the jars.  This is because the potatoes I canned in water a while back have turned sort of mealy and gray in color.  They might be OK, but I seriously doubt I could get anyone in my family to eat them.  Especially when I am reluctant to do so.

It is really easy to look around and decide there is enough stuff stored.  Easy to tell myself I don't have to do any more canning or dehydrating or stockpiling.  That would be a lie.

Just in case we haven't noticed, things all around us are whirling out of control at mind numbing speed.  Just this week I mentioned something that had been talked about on several news channels, to someone who was here in my home.  Their reply was that they never paid attention to any news because they didn't want to think about bad things!

So...when 'bad things' show up in her neighborhood and threaten her family, do you suppose she might just pay attention then?

Now is not the time to slack off.  Keep stacking.  Pay attention.  Keep praying!!

1 comment:

  1. Imagine a bike race with a hundred cyclists careening down a hill. All it would take is one person at the side of the road throwing a stick into the spokes of the leader to bring them all down. That's where this world is right now; careening downhill, waiting for that stick. People who don't keep track of what's going on are akin to a passenger in a window seat of a crashing airplane who closes the window shade, as if that'll change the outcome...

    No, Vicki, now is DEFINITELY not the time to slack off!

    ReplyDelete