Monday, September 30, 2013

Up to My Elbows...

in Farmer's Market goodness.

Number One Son made a Farmer's Market run for me on Saturday.  He came back with a half bushel of green bell peppers, 5 HUGE heads of cabbage, a good sized bag of carrots and 50 lbs. of potatoes.  And 5 more cases of canning jars.  In anticipation, I had made a grocery store run on Friday for the ingredients I needed to go with the cabbage and peppers to make Amish coleslaw.  25 pints of that deliciousness now reside on my shelves, along with another 28 pints of carrots.  There are 2 pots of cabbage heating up on my stove with lots more waiting.  (Yep, my neighbors are going to be loving me by the time I finish cooking and canning cabbage!)  That will go into quart jars to be processed.  I'm hoping to score a sale on corned beef come spring to go with the cabbage.  I have never made sauerkraut before, so am giving that a go as well.  The potatoes will be sliced and diced and dehydrated.  They work well for scalloped potatoes and in soup and stew.  The leftover peppers were dehydrated as well.

So I had better stop playing here at the computer and get busy, because tomorrow my daughter and granddaughter are taking me to Sam's Club to stock up on meat, most of which will be canned as well.  Other people make hay while the sun shines.  For me, it is canning and dehydrating.

I am truly lucky to have kids and grandkids who are willing to fetch and carry and haul it all up the stairs to my apartment.  God bless them all!

4 comments:

  1. You're welcome. Duane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate it, son. Next time you are here, there will be more goodies for when you go shopping at my shelves!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had homemade sauerkraut, but a friend of mine came from good German stock and was blessed with that when he was young.

    He described a pork dish, with the pork bedded in the homemade sauerkraut and baked in the oven. My mouth waters when I think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Years ago I had a neighbor who made sauerkraut in a huge crock, and then canned it. It was wonderful stuff. I haven't the room or a crock, so am trying a recipe that has the cabbage fermenting right in the jars. Right now it looks sort of like a bad science experiment, but I have hope that it will be good once it is canned.

    ReplyDelete