Friday, May 12, 2017

News Blackout

I think I need to take a break from the news.

Every morning I pour a cup of coffee, sit down at my computer and check out the various news websites.  This morning I came to the realization that the news headlines are the same old crap - just a different day.

Politically, the left mocks whatever the right is doing and vice versa.  The Democrats will never, ever get over the fact that Hillary lost.  Donald will continue to Tweet stupid things.  And the pundits will continue to pontificate whether they have any actual knowledge or not.  Congress continues to fight among themselves like spoiled children.  And pass laws that are not helpful but mostly harmful to all but the elite.  The Constitution has become an afterthought.  The laws of our land seem to be optional.

Around the world sabers continue to be rattled.  Threats continue to be made.  If we lived in a peaceful world, where would the attention getting soundbites come from.  If world leaders didn't have constant turmoil and strife to keep their populations riled up about, someone might actually figure out that these leaders are mostly ego maniacal blowhards who care little about the general population and a lot about money and power.

Here in the States we have gone from the ridiculous to the sublime.  Special snowflakes need their safe spaces so they need not hear anything that might upset them.  Social Justice Warriors have decided that I need to apologize for being born white.  If I were a white male I would be expected to apologize and then fall upon my sword.  I am expected to accept every perversion known to man as 'the new normal.'  And if I object or openly declare my faith in God, I am racist.  Or guilty of 'hate speech.'

College students dictate to school administrators what should be taught in classrooms, none of which prepares students for the real world.  And the administrators let them get away with it.  Tension between the races is at an all time high.  Peaceful demonstrations turn into window breaking, car burning, rock throwing riots.  Police are told to stand down and let it happen.  Those who are speaking against the thuggery are shouted down or are silenced with just the threat of riots should the speakers exercise their right of free speech.

We have become a lawless nation.  People are welcomed into our country who have broken the law just by coming in through the back door.  We may be accepting some on humanitarian grounds, but the majority of the illegal aliens are here to do more harm than good.  Our taxes pay for their food, housing and medical care and our Vets go without proper care.  Some of those crossing our borders have vowed to kill all who do not convert to Islam.  Many expect US citizens to accommodate their way of life and their beliefs, but have no intention of  accepting ours.  And yet many in Congress fight against securing our borders.

Gangs of thugs block our freeways shouting slogans about killing cops, but few arrests are made.  A friend who is a retired cop tells me the police have their hands tied by the politicians.  I can pretty much guarantee that if I were standing in the middle of a road blocking traffic, I would find myself explaining to a judge why I would do something that stupid.  People are being harassed and even assaulted simply because of who they voted for in the last election.  Some are being abused just to see how many 'likes' the perpetrators can get on their social media live stream.  And some are being hurt just because the thugs think it is funny.

I wish I could change it.  I wish I could just wave a magic wand and turn the world, or at least my country, into Mayberry.  I know there are still good people here.  I know many of them.  I read their blogs and their comments.  I am proud to be related to some of them.  Problem is that the politically correct crowd is larger and stronger and louder and more vicious.  It is like Pandora's box has been opened and has released it's demons among us.

I have no earthly idea where it will all end.  I am not well versed enough in the scriptures to quote any of God's promises or solutions.  And I am not arrogant enough to think I know the mind of God.  What I do know is that we as a nation desperately need to get back to the principals of our founding fathers.  We need to hold true to our core beliefs without worrying about offending those who have differing opinions.  And we need to stand firm against those who seek to destroy us.

That is a pretty tall order.  I have no doubt that my parents and grandparents were equal to the task.  I wonder if we are.

21 comments:

  1. Brilliant post! You have summed up my thoughts and feelings exactly! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lynney62...Thank you for your kind words. I guess the older I get, the less bs I am willing to tolerate. Sometimes we just need to tell it as we see it.

      Delete
    2. Vicki, I am no social butterfly. I go outside of my home with a purposeful destination in mind...doctor appointments, trips to the grocery store and my own backyard garden. I try to be as self-sufficient as possible and mind my own business. I don't feel the need to participate in many group or public events. I am perfectly content to stay in my own zone. However, my 'zone' is no longer my own! The government is controlling EVERY aspect of my life and yours! I have attempted to limit my intake of television and radio in order to preserve my sanity, but I don't think it is healthy to behave like an ostrich with my head in the sand. Your posting today was so relevant and meaningful. Thank you. I truly appreciate your willingness to tell it like it is...CW from Iowa

      Delete
    3. CW...Even before physical limitations kept me close to home, I was like you. Go do what had to be done and go home. And I am perfectly content with that lifestyle. And you are spot on when you say the government is controlling, or at least trying to control, every aspect of our lives. Our lives are no longer ours.

      What irritates me even more than that is when thugs like black lives matter cause hate and discontent and in the process break the law by stopping freeway traffic, the politicians tie the hands of the police, and by doing so, give the thugs permission to do whatever they want. The last time they pulled that stunt here, the parents of a very ill small child were stopped on their way to the hospital. The parents had to call for an ambulance and then hand their daughter to the paramedics over the cement barrier separating the lanes of traffic. Yet nobody was held accountable in what could have been a life threatening situation.

      I'm tired, CW. I'm tired of some government official telling me my granddaughters have to use the same bathroom as some hairy ape of a man who feels like a woman that day (apologies to my male friends). I'm tired of hearing about ordinary people being sued or fined or jailed because they won't go against their religious beliefs. A baker, a florist and a county clerk come to mind. Good Lord, what have we become when we can't even stand up for our faith.

      I usually keep a fairly close eye on the news. Not so much mainstream media, but other sources. I don't advocate burying heads in the sand. But sometimes when it is so obvious that common sense has 'left the building,' I need to back away for a time before my head explodes. :)

      Delete
  2. It's definitely Mad Max in real life. I have essentially stopped watching all the MSM, including Fox, because it's pointless. I do watch One America News, but not many people can get it, it's an obscure little station.

    I guess the best thing to do is stay off the skyline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry...The world has lost its collective mind. What amazes me is that the politicians can say the most outrageous things and the general public buys into it. Swallows it - hook, line and sinker. Common sense is on life support.

      Not having a TV any more, I can't watch One America News, but I do check out their website daily along with a couple of others. It was while looking at Drudge this morning that I realized the basics in the headlines really never change. Names and places may be different from day to day, but the general news stories don't change much.

      I suppose posting a rant doesn't do much for keeping me off the skyline, but sometimes a person just has to say what is on their mind. :)

      Delete
  3. Another thing, removing statues of heroes because someone does not like the war that was fought. That needs to end and the statues restored to their places. That is the same things Muslims have always done in Europe--destroy the things that you don't like, the religions that have stood for centuries.

    I'm glad you included both parties in this madness! Some people can only see one side of the issue. Good for you.

    What is MSM?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MSM is often used in place of 'mainstream media'.

      Delete
    2. Linda...The insanity doesn't belong to one party or the other. Both are nuts. I totally agree with you about the Civil War statues. Removing them doesn't change history. And it doesn't change the fact that those represented were heroes, no matter which side they fought on. This whole politically correct thing has gotten completely out of control. As I see it, the South has just as much right to honor its war heroes as does the North. Here the social justice warriors want to remove any trace of those founding fathers who were also slave owners. Never mind the good those people did for our country. We can't change what happened in the past. We can only learn from it. And it is pretty tough to learn from it if you pretend it never happened. I just don't get it.

      Delete
  4. LOL - Maybe you should try decaf, Vicki; BUT, I agree with you 100%! The only thing that keeps me sane is that I've read the Book and know that GOD wins in the end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, Gorges...Won't give up the caffeine. That's what gets my heart started every morning. :)

      You are right. The only sanity left is in knowing God wins. The rest of it is just a dog and pony show. I often wonder how far humanity will be allowed to go before God says, "Enough."

      Delete
  5. We stopped getting the newspaper and I don't like to watch the news either. Hubby told me I should write a column for the paper so people would buy it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kistina...I think that news online has become the choice of many. I like a newspaper once in awhile. Maybe you should take Hubby's advice. Often the sections of the newspaper I liked most were the columns. :)

      Delete
  6. go tot he 'robinofberkeley' web site.
    i have now read every post.
    the cancer is deep out there and necrosis has set in.
    it will spread, inevitably.
    the Bible is clear that things will become unbearable everywhere before God puts His foot down.
    i reckon He is letting us see just how low we will go if left to our own fallen natures without Him.
    i am still astonished that things could go to hell in just part of my lifetime.
    i thought it would take longer for a civilization to rot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. deborah... found the website you mentioned and will read at the first opportunity. Thanks.

      I am amazed at how far we have fallen in just the past ten years. Our country bears no resemblance whatsoever to the America I grew up in. It is broken and I don't think it can be fixed. There are too many who, for their own purposes, want us to continue on this pathway to hell. Your remark about taking longer for a civilization to rot is spot on, for rotting it is. I just watched a short video of a college teacher informing a student that on campus, free speech was allowed only in free speech zones. We are doomed.

      Delete
  7. Vicki, I had to do this starting this week. I had much the same reaction that you did. I had begun to reach the point where I was on the knife's edge every day.

    I think Harry's point is well taken. It is very much beginning to feel like a Mad Max World. And to Deborah's point, civilizations have always rotted - it is just with power of technology, it can happen a great deal faster than before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toirdhealbheach Beucail...I am not sure if it is the doom and gloom that gets to me after awhile or if it is the sheer stupidity of it all. I am astounded at the total lack of common sense shown by so many in Congress. There are way too few grownups and way too many temper throwing toddlers on both sides of the aisle.

      Society seems to be careening out of control at an alarming rate and you are right about technology. We can now view what is happening as it occurs rather than wait for the nightly television news as we used to do. I'm not so sure that's a good thing. It may keep us better informed, but it also gives the attention seeking bad guys a platform. Perhaps without the instant gratification they get from seeing their bad behavior live streamed online, they might not be as eager to do their worst.

      Delete
  8. Amen! Did you read my email? Looking forward to your reply.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know who you are. Your profile tells me nothing. I never, ever open emails unless I am 100 % sure of the sender. I will be happy to answer any comment you care to leave here unless it is rude or obviously spam. Spam comments and unknown emails are deleted.

      Delete
  9. I chose to limit how much media I'm exposed to for those very same reason. The change for me came when I had watched the evening news for CBS, ABC and NBC and realized they were essentially reporting the same news. Often in the same order and with the same or similar video. Chilling, really, when I thought about it. Brought to mind the Robin Williams' movie Good morning Vietnam and the twins who would approve the radio content.

    I'm having a stay-cation in my apartment today. The weather has changed back to drizzly and chilly. Typical spring here, actually. So the dog and I will do our usual walk through the neighborhood and that will be the busiest part of my day. He's curled up to me snoring as I type so even that won't happen any time soon. Cheers, SJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ...I think for me it is the sheer insanity going on around us that makes me want to hide out for awhile. The bakery that is fined and finally run out of business for refusing to go against their religious beliefs to bake a cake for a gay wedding. The high school kid who was suspended from school because he 'liked' a picture of a gun on Instagram. The college student who is told by faculty that free speech can only occur in 'free speech zones.' These are the things that drive me nuts. Add to that the Trump haters who think it is ok to beat the snot out of anyone who voted for the man. And the rioting race haters who use any excuse to smash and burn everything in sight. And the majority of government officials to whom corruption is a way of life. Makes me want to climb into bed, pull the covers over my head and stay there until we all just go out in a blaze of glory.

      Soapbox kicked hard back into the corner again.

      You know, SJ, I think maybe one of the reasons I don't really mind being pretty much housebound is because the outside world has gotten so scary. I would love to be able to go for a walk without feeling the need to look over my shoulder constantly. I would give anything to have the world I grew up in. That world had crazies in it too, but everyone knew who they were and we just stayed away from them. Now they are everywhere.

      I am enjoying a lazy day today. Kids and grands came over yesterday. They even brought the dog. Who puked three times on the way here. Poor puppy. And poor family. When I asked why they didn't wait to bring her when she was less car sick, my son said that it was worth it so I could meet my 'grandpuppy.' It was such fun!! She is such a sweetheart.

      Temps are in the low 80's today. Windows are open. Fans are blowing the fresh air about. Books are being read and naps have been taken. All in all, a lovely day. Glad you are having one just as nice. :)

      Delete