Monday, April 1, 2019

Long Ago April

Many years ago, this mother of four youngsters was working in one end of her house when she heard an awful crashing, banging sound come from the other end.  It was followed by children's voices yelling, "Mom!  Come quick!  Jill fell down the basement stairs!"

I rushed to the basement door, peered down to see my oldest daughter sprawled at the bottom of the stairs, covered in blood.

Flying down the stairs, I reached my daughter, only to be met with a chorus of, "April Fool, Mom!!"

My ketchup covered daughter was laughing, as were her siblings.  They had tossed a couple of kitchen kettles down the stairs for the noise and had positioned Jill at the bottom, looking like a bloody discarded rag doll.

I let them live, although at the time this was debatable.  They all grew up to be fine adults.  But I always wished that each of them would someday have a child who would come up with a similar April Fool joke.  :)

13 comments:

  1. Yeah, that was a little over the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but if nothing else, they were inventive. and had great senses of humor, even if a little bit skewed :)

      Delete
    2. True, you have to give them that! - lol

      Delete
  2. ...The things we did before cable...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete...When it comes right down to it, I would rather see kids think up an April Fool's prank on Mom than to sit like zombies in front of a screen.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, that must have just about given you a heart attack! Glad they all turned out good adults, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One Family...They were a mischievous bunch, but never mean. And yes, it was a good thing I had such a strong heart! I'm really proud of them, the way they turned out.

      Delete
  4. Ha ha ha! Oh my, my kids fooled me with some brown playdoh once. They made it look like dog doo, and our youngest was acting like she was about to pick it up. You never saw a mother run so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kristina...That's funny! I love a kid with imagination and a sense of humor. :)

      Delete
  5. A faster thinking adult would have play fainted...But when you think your kid is in bad shape you don't think about that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob...That would have been a good one. But there were four of them and only one of me. The odds were in their favor. :)

      Delete
  6. Well, I am thinking God may be playing "April Fools"on us as well. During the night he sprinkled the white stuff all over our area to the tune of about 2-3 inches. And my Christmas cactus is in full bloom! Yup, April sometimes fools us...CW

    PS. Loved your April Fools Day story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW...I still think Mother Nature is off her meds! I have been hearing we may get a few snowflakes as well, but so far it has missed us. That's one April Fool's joke that isn't very funny. Hope it melts quickly!!

      Yeah, my kids were pretty good at coming up with stuff that made me either want to choke them or laugh at them. Thank heaven the laughter always won out. :)

      Delete