Wednesday, February 18, 2015

It's Grocery Delivery Day

By the middle of this afternoon, I will have a variety of meats, fresh fruits and fresh vegetables delivered to my kitchen. And most important of all, a new jar of Orville Redenbacher popcorn, which is my evening treat a couple of times a week.  The longer I use this service, the more I like it.  Especially on days like today.  It is -9 degrees outside, with a wind chill factor of -31 degrees.  You can bet your bottom dollar that I'm not going out.

I do feel a bit sorry for those volunteers who do the deliveries.  Especially since they are not allowed to accept tips for this service.  There are ways to get around that rule, however.

The last time I had groceries delivered, there were peanut butter cookies waiting, fresh from the oven.  Another time it was cinnamon rolls.  And today there will be blueberry muffins waiting.

There are ways to express appreciation without dollars changing hands.  My delivery guy seems to like this arrangement, for he tries to guess what the delicious aromas are that greet him when he enters the building.  I make sure to send along enough for him to share with his wife.

Those who volunteer to help make the lives of others a bit easier, deserve heartfelt thanks and recognition for what they do.  And a few cookies now and then when we aren't allowed to tip in cash.

6 comments:

  1. Blueberry muffins?? I would so enjoy them. Stay warm. I put up extra blankets in the LR windows and 3 pairs of socks on my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob...I don't know. I haven't tried them yet. I saved one out for breakfast tomorrow, gave the grocery guy some and froze the rest!

    I'm pretty lucky. This old building has outer walls that are nearly a foot thick. That and the fact that heat rises keeps my apartment pretty cozy. I'm not going out until it warms up, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you for your kindness to the volunteers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorges...The little bit that I do is nothing compared to what the volunteers do. Were it not for them, I'd be standing out in sub-zero temperatures waiting for a bus to take me to the store. They are the heroes and should be recognized as such.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mom, It was a beautiful 73 here today...and those peanut butter cookies sound really good. Love, Duane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Son...I envy your 73 degree weather! It has warmed up to a balmy 1 degree above zero here! Not so bad if you don't have to go outside. The cookies do sound good, don't they. I might have to do some baking this week. And I know - only one at a time!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete