Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Outside the Box

So today was my grocery order day.   I had gone through the weekly store ad and my list was ready.   Before the guy who takes my order called, I looked the ad over again to see if I missed anything.  I  had.

The store had those 1 lb. bags of shredded salad fixings on sale for cheaper than buying the ingredients and making them myself.  I usually don't get pre-packaged food, but I thought I could make good use of these.

I ordered 4 lbs. of what they call salad greens.  This is just shredded leaf lettuce.  I will dehydrate all of it and store it in a canning jar.   A small amount added to ham salad, egg salad or chicken salad for sandwiches will be good, or sprinkled on top of a pasta salad or a potato salad for flavor.

I also ordered 6 lbs. of shredded coleslaw mix, which is a combination of green cabbage, red cabbage and carrots.  When dried, a handful in any homemade meat and vegetable soup adds extra flavor.  And that combination is good in any number of casseroles.

The experts tell us to store beans and rice, and I do have those items in my food storage.  But mostly I store ingredients to make the meals I like.  Beans and rice are good to have for they provide nutrition necessary for survival.  But a steady diet of them would get old in a hurry.  I like to have as much variety as possible.  Sometimes it is good to think outside the box a bit, like dehydrating salad and coleslaw mix, especially when it is on sale for cheap.

Even a small thing like dried salad mixes to flavor a meal, or a variety of herbs and spices to use for the same reason, can make life during hard times just a little bit easier to take.

10 comments:

  1. You're a wise (and hard-working) lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Gorges. I admire those who homestead, who are holding down jobs, who are raising their children to be good, upstanding citizens. Me...I just want to make sure my family doesn't go hungry, no matter what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only will it add flavor and make meals more palatable, it will also add needed nutrients to your 'storage' diet. Great idea, Vicki, thanks! Fern

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fern...You are welcome. Seems to me that when the going gets rough and our lives change, having even one thing - like meals - that remain close to what we are used to, should help us. I can't control much and expect to be able to control even less before too long. But I can control the way my family eats. It may not seem like much in the scheme of things, but having the supplies to fix tasty, nutritious meals makes a difference not only in our health, but also in our attitudes. Beats living on rice, beans and oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What store do they shop at? I'm learning more about the retail grocery on the supply side. How often they order, and what days the get deliveries. I did find out that they, (our market) order sale item at lest a month ahead. I hope to do a post soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! Never thought of dehydrating greens like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would not have thought of dehydrating salad mixes. Thanks for the suggestion. I put into practice your idea of dehydrating frozen veggies and hash browns. I'm slowly building up my stock as I find sales, thanks for those ideas as well.
    Hope the weather has warmed up for you. Went shopping at the thrift on Senior's day and bought an all wool blanket. Score! It's not my favorite color but it's all wool and will come in handy. Cheers, SJ in Vancouver BC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rob...The service I use shops at Cub stores in the Twin Cities and surrounding suburbs. It is not a government program but is run by volunteers who take the orders, do the shopping and deliver the groceries, for which I pay a small fee for each delivery. It is well worth it to me not to have to go out in sub-zero cold or on the hot, humid days of summer. The service is offered to seniors age 60 and above and the minimal fee is based on income. It sure has made life easier for me these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chickenmom...I wish I could take credit for that bit of brilliance, but I can't. I saw the idea either on a video or a blog. Can't remember just which. (Love these memory lapses that show up more often than not these days!) I tested dehydrating greens earlier when I had some in the fridge that were threatening to go bad and liked the results. Every little bit helps.

    ReplyDelete
  10. SJ...I thought it sounded like a pretty good idea when I first heard about dehydrating greens. I dry diced cabbage every fall but liked the idea of using the slaw mix. If spinach or other similar mixes ever go on sale, I think I will dehydrate them as well. They are light in weight and when dried, take up so much less storage space than canned or frozen foods. And as you know, around here, storage space is at a premium!

    Good for you on the blanket score! The only wool blanket I have is an old Army blanket. It ain't pretty - but it sure is warm. :) I used to go a couple times a month to the Goodwill store in my town, but they moved to a bigger building and are no longer on my bus route. I may have to whine to my kids to take me to the new store when the weather warms up a bit. The temp got above zero today, so there is still hope. :)

    ReplyDelete