Thursday, February 25, 2016

Cars and Cakes

Last week Oldest Son stopped at Target to pick up my prescription refills for me.  And when he came out of the store, he found his car wouldn't start.  His brother-in-law went over to jump start the car only to discover the battery was shot.  So an hour or so and a considerable amount of money later, the new battery is in the car and he is home.

Then last evening on his way home, while doing 70 mph on the freeway, one of the front tires has a blowout.  He said that to his utter amazement, he was able to pull over and stop the car without running into any other vehicle and even more astounding, he kept the car out of the ditch and upright.  Said it was touch and go for a while there.   He is taking a vacation day tomorrow to have 4 new tires put on the car.

A chocolate cake just finished baking.  The ingredients for a cream cheese frosting are coming to room temperature on my counter.  Chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting won't help with the car problems.  But Son said it would go a long way to helping him feel better.

And that's Mom's solution to most problems - comfort food.  It doesn't fix the problems.  As much as we would like to be able to fix their problems, the bottom line is they have to fix their own problems.  But a chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting just might make their problems a little bit easier to deal with.

10 comments:

  1. Mom, A home cooked meal and chocolate cake go along way to feeling better. Thank you, Duane

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome, Son...Figured after the week you had, a home cooked meal and chocolate cake couldn't hurt. :)
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. A mom cannot always fix the boo-boo, but a lot of lovin' sure does help! Glad Son is ok!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Chickenmom...I'm glad that he is OK, too. Could have been a nasty situation. I think it helps to be a good driver to begin with - one who doesn't panic when the unexpected happens! That and chocolate cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My family is one of the Blessings I try to be thankful for each day. I am still able to do things like your comfort for my loved ones. I am fortunate in having my whole family within three miles of my home. As I age, I try to remain as giving to them as they are to me. God I Good. Julia in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear your son is safe in spite of the car problems. Your comfort food dinner sounds like a nice ending to a challenging day. Isn't that what family is all about?
    Just got in from the store and I now have the ingredients to make your applesauce cake this weekend. SJ in Vancouver BC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julia...You and I are so blessed. My kids and grands all live close by, the ones farthest away being about a 45 minute drive. I really like being able to do things like cook a meal or bake a cake for them. My comfort is just knowing they are all close by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SJ...I think Son's Guardian Angel was riding along on his shoulder that evening. A blowout at that speed could have had disastrous results. A bit of comfort food seems like such a small thing, but we do what we can. You are right. That is what families are all about - or should be.
    Hope the cake turns out well for you. It has been a favorite of mine for more years than I can remember!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If we could ever figure out how to send chocolate cakes over the internet you might have a great home business there. I guess you will just have to be satisfied with being a good mother. Works for me.

    Grace and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pumice...What a nice thing to say. There comes a time when motherly advice isn't always welcome, but chocolate cakes always are. We do what we can. :)

    ReplyDelete