Saturday, February 5, 2022

Ice Fishing

There is so much bad stuff going on that it is easy to get mired down in it all. Sometimes we just need a break.

My son and his son went ice fishing.

Lake of the Woods is probably the most beautiful place in Minnesota. It is located at the most northern point in the state and shares a border with Canada.

I have fished the lake in the warmer months. I haven't the courage to visit in the winter.

There is a resort that rents fish houses. These aren't your run-of-the-mill fish houses. They are more like a small cabin with all the amenities.

To reach their fish house my son and grandson drove about 10 miles over the ice. It had been cold enough that the ice was over 50 inches thick. David told me that the temperature reached 30 degrees below zero while they were there.





They had good luck fishing.





My granddaughters have been to the Lake with their Dad in previous winters. He hopes they can join him for one more trip before winter ends.

This is a photo of two happy fishermen. :)



Ice fishing isn't high on my list of fun things to do, but it ranks right up there with my son and his family. In these times that don't look like they will get better any time soon, it is important to go do whatever it is that pleases us. We continue to keep track of what is going on around us and we continue to prepare as best we can. We have had two years full of mandates and restrictions. It is time to live again.

10 comments:

  1. They do look happy. I will wait until the weather gets to 70° to go fishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Fred...I would rather fish when the lake is liquid. :)

      Delete
  2. A couple of great looking Walleye, if memory serves me right. Great eating.
    I never went ice fishing growing up in Michigan, either. But for fish like that, I might have! (Young people being indestructible and all, haha. )

    Please give them my congratulations, Vicki. I pray God blesses them with many more.
    You all be safe, stay warm and God bless, Vicki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LindaG...Yep...walleye. I would take a walleye dinner over a steak any day of the week!

      Ice fishing has changed since I was young. Then it was a cold and miserable activity. The fish house David rented is like a small cabin with heat, lights, a stove, fridge and beds for sleeping, TV and wifi. They stay right there for days of fishing.

      It is warmer where I am - many miles south of the Lake. Take care and God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  3. Vicki, those pictures are priceless! I don't like the cold, but those fish look like they would be worth venturing out in the cold for. Thank you for sharing those big smiles with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW...I just thought maybe we could use something fun amid all the crazy! They aren't exactly roughing it in that cabin-like fish house, but they do enjoy it. Lake of the Woods is known for large walleye and they seem to have found some. :)

      Delete
  4. Mom, this was a great break from the hustle and bustle of daily life. Glad we were able to make the trip and catch some fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Son...I love the pictures. Looks like you two had such a good time. I am so glad you could get away for a bit. Love, Mom

      Delete