Monday, February 28, 2022

Personal SHTF

We prepare for what we like to call a time when the s**t hits the fan.  Most think of that as being national or world wide disasters.  However, it can also be on a personal level.    

So yesterday I was walking through my apartment when something popped in my right knee.  After some well chosen words I discovered that walking had become somewhat interesting.  One of the first things I did was whine to a friend and the second was to proceed with feeling sorry for myself.  

After icing my knee, which seems to be getting better, the pity party continued.  Right up to the time a short while ago when my phone rang.

It seems the extended warranty on my car has expired.  And since the call had interrupted my sitting with my leg propped up, I was in just the right mood to discuss this with someone named Jason who had an East Indian accent.

Thing is, I haven't owned a vehicle for several years.  So I asked Jason which one of my vehicles needed the warranty.  Jason is cagey.  He said it was the last vehicle I had purchased.  So I informed Jason that I had bought three cars on the same day and he needed to tell me which one needed the warranty.

That is when Jason hung up on me.

It is amazing how good a person can feel when they get a scammer to hang up on them.  :)       

16 comments:

  1. Haha sometimes the small victories in life can be the most satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. chipmunk...I particularly enjoyed this one. :)

      Delete
  2. Vicki, I am still laughing about Jason the scammer. The knee, on the other hand, is no laughing matter. I am praying for a quick recovery for your knee. Personal SHTF comes when a person least expects it or needs it. You take care...CW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CW...Most times I either don't answer or I just hang up on them. But once in a while it is fun to get them to hang up on me. :)

      Thanks for your concern and prayers. They are much appreciated. I don't bounce back like I once did, but am assessing the damage and so far it seems to be improving - slowly.

      Delete
  3. HaHaHa...spunky! I hope Jason hung up and was shaking his head as in 'what just happened'...LOL.

    I'm sorry about your knee.Sending hugs and prayers.
    SJ in Vancouver BC Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SJ...I got the impression that Jason figured out someone was pulling his chain! Might have been the words he used before he hung up that tipped me off. :) The knee seems to slowly be improving. I truly appreciate the hugs and prayers.

      Delete
  4. Hahahahaha! That is great, Vicki. If I ever geet more than a robo call, I may have to try that!

    You all be safe and God bless.

    P.S. I hope your knee heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LindaG...Sometimes it is just fun to mess with those people. Take good care and may God bless you and yours.
      The knee feels a bit better than yesterday, so I am hopeful.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Vicki, thank you!! I get those calls at least once a day. You just gave me the greatest answer ever to rid myself of those despicable bugs! *Great response!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lynney62...Messing with those people has the added benefit of keeping them busy so they are not trying to scam someone else.

      Delete
  6. Vicki~ I feel your pain. Really and Truly. I stepped wrong over a week ago. It sucks rocks. I'm doing the Aleve, and Biofreeze, plus ice. Arrggh. Cool on the scammer. Next time use the following "Hey Harry, start the call trace, we've got a live one!" then block the number if you are able. Red

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red...No fun at all, but I am using Aleve and cold packs. Heat will be applied starting tomorrow.
      I haven't used the call tracing thing, but I have asked for full name and told them my attorney suggested recording the call for a class action lawsuit. That also resulted in a quick hang-up. :)

      Delete
  7. Well done!
    Father, please relieve Vicki of the pain in her knee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ed...Prayers are greatly appreciated.

      Delete
  8. I had a very persistent fellow who would not let me get a word in edgewise, so I just set the phone down and continued to knead my bread and chat with my friend sitting there. It didn't take long to hear a frantic "Ma'am, ma'am". I let him bleat for a bit, and then picked up the phone and gave him a short lecture before hanging up. Another time, someone wanted to sell septic tank cleaner. I told that person that if there is something wrong with the septic tank, my husband would go in there and fix it. She was horrified! She told me how awful that would be, and I replied "I don't care, I don't like him very much." ha ha. She didn't have much to say after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. anon...I absolutely love it when somebody can get the best of scammers. Most times I just hang up on them, but now and then I am in the mood to wreck their day. :) And I figure that if I am wasting their time, they aren't trying to steal someone else's money. Keep up the good work!

      Delete